Timber Garage/workshop

hughesy

Not sure if there is a more appropriate forum than this General one but here goes,

I'm looking at building a new Garage in the garden to free up the integral one for a new bedroom, having built a block and concrete tile roofed one before and suffered with terrible condensation problems I was looking at building a substantial timber one.

This would be constructed in a similar method to a timber frame house with 100 x 38mm CLS, then ply lined with a membrane and finally timber clad.

Has anyone any experiences good or bad with this type of building?

I found this company in MCN who supply ready built garages which would save me building the panels:

Warwick buildings

This is type of thing I was thinking of 5.5 x 4.0 M

Garage Image

Any thoughts welcome

Cheers

Edited by Hughesy

My dad has a timber shed made by our local firm Hodgons (quality sheds since 19??) its about double garage size and its fine, dry and warm dont know how long they last its 10 years old now and still looks like new.

These sheds come in pre built sections then bolted together on site.

Ian

I've built many a shed over the years, my workshop at home is timber throughout. Never had any condensation problems whatsoever, usually make the frames/stud work from 4by2 pressure treated R/S or PSE at 16 inch centres, floor structure 4 by 2 or up to 6 by 2 if a large shed, roof same depending on the span. 3/4 inch OSB on floor and roof, floor usually covered in 6 or 9mm ply so it looks better, loft insulation between stud work/joist and internal facing with 6 or 9mm exterior plywood.

Exterior is normally clad with 15-18mm shiplap or feather-edged boards and a good quality felt on the roof, make sure you make the door of heavy construction with mortice lock and two heavy duty hasp and staples/padlocks. The door is always the weak point, mine has two alarms on it. I used to have a sliding metal bar that was hidden from the outside that could be pushed into the back of the door so even if the locks were breached the door still wouldnt open and have the scumbags scratching their arses wondering why.

Make sure you also use heavy butt hinges on the door not band type hinges that can be unscrewed for the outside. If windows are needed I made internal shutters that hinge from the top of the frame via a piano hinge and latch to the ceiling when you need the light.

A mate of mine who used to make nothing but sheds never liked to use the wrap/membrane as this caused condensation, shed needs to breath a little, none of mine have membranes and none are damp.

Edited by The Addict

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep em coming.

I was going to use insulated metal profile sheeting on the roof as I've never been convinced of felt.

Planning in Scotland differs slightly from England & Wales, Permitted development is complicated up here, I'm just about to send off my completed questionnaire to Perth & Kinross council, to see how it goes. When I spoke with them on the phone he insisted that if the building was within 2M of a boundary then I must have Planning Permission irrespective of size! This sounds like a load of B*****ks to me otherwise every shed in the county would need retrospective planning! Anyway the questionnaire makes no reference to how far the new building is from the boundary only how far from the house.

I was definitely going to put security loops in the floor, unfortunately/fortunately I'm no longer in the RAF as Tornado towing eyes were made for this job!

Hughesy

Corrogated onduline is far better than metal, I'm pretty sure you'll get condesation from steel, use a ply or OSB base for it, yes felt is not the best but its quick and cheap if budget counts sometimes, will need to do it again every 3-5 years

Edited by The Addict

My mate races cars and has a massive garage / workshop though needed extra storage space. He's a bit particular, everythings got to be just right. He bought a garage off Warick Buildings and was very impressed. Seen it myself and it's very good, I would buy one. Theres a lot of poor wooden building manufacturers out there.