The Balance And The Bikes!

copemech

It would probably take me DAYS to type out my complete thoughts on this subject(using both fingers), yet I shall start here.

Just how good should an average bike be for the average rider?

Do the bikes we have now do anything to attract your average rider that may be into other things like enduro or mx into even wanting to try to ride one, or are thet just too specilized?

Now mention the novice off the street. Where does he begin? Bikes are a bit too radical! Cannot sit on them! And the ones you might mostly belong in a musuem now. Old pos that cannot get parts for,and if you did you would pay!!!

Although lots still love their old TY's or Pinkey's, or even the ole Fantics and such, none of this is really good for a clean start in trials, better for the collector type.

So we see those who cannot balance try to start out on a well worn 2000 model something, that is just as unforgiving as a new bike, yet worse because it is a worn out pos that creates more headaches than they are worth for many.

Yet even back then, when I came back off my long layoff from riding dirt, I asked the simple question " Is there anything with a SEAT that I might be able to play around with and enjoy?"

Simple answer "no" ! Not unless you want to find an old one!

Now I do admit there are exceptions such as the Scorpa long ride, yet they are few and still a bit kinkey, and seem to be out of balance with what many beginners may want or like.

It just seems to me we are really missing something for most. A new Raga or Evo may be tempting for some, but how does any of that help a novice or punter? Simple reliable bike that actually attracts riders and is versitle and functional that does not cost an arm and a leg. Does not loose half it's value in the first year. And is fun to ride!

Someone please show me one!

I know it will never happen, but if you staged a trial where every rider was given a Scorpa 125/175 when they signed on, you would have a really good event. The sections would be a little easier, you would still get a fair result and the best riders would still be the best riders.

100_0703.jpg

Just a comment in support of the 125 Scorpa. I am now 62 years of age, of limited ability, but love pottering around on my bike. I ride easy trials, usually easy route and now find the little four stroke Scorpa suits me down to the ground. I am really surprised more people in a similar position to me, either just starting out, or wobbling around at the tail end of their riding career, don't try one. I think sometimes it is a bit of a fashion thing because people who have tried my bike are full of praise for it. It won't win a world round, but then neither will I.

Here's a video of Norman Blakemore riding his Scorpa in the Sphinx LDT. He's added a larger alloy tank to make it more practical for this type of event.

Here's one of Steve Venn on a Pampera in the same event making it look easy.

And finally, one of Sam Wilson on his Scorpa T ride making it look slightly less easy, the camera makes this look a lot flatter than it really was.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is another thread active where the question of engine size for a first timer is the issue.

I am thinking of spending as little as possible on a small green laner such as this Chinese machine,,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHINERAY-GY-125cc-EN...=item414cee16e9

Certainly not perfect, engine is the old Honda CG125, but would the jury consider something cheap and cheerful like this a suitable starter bike ? Bearing in mind that a first timer/novice might not want to commit too much finance to something that may go pear shaped anyway.

Brian

Edited by GreyBeard

There is another thread active where the question of engine size for a first timer is the issue.

I am thinking of spending as little as possible on a small green laner such as this Chinese machine,,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHINERAY-GY-125cc-EN...=item414cee16e9

Certainly not perfect, engine is the old Honda CG125, but would the jury consider something cheap and cheerful like this a suitable starter bike ? Bearing in mind that a first timer/novice might not want to commit too much finance to something that may go pear shaped anyway.

Brian

My opinion - steer well clear of something like this,