marky g

Estimate a cost - then double it !

There will always be more requiring repair/replacement than you initially think

Things like tyres

Shocks

Bearings

Fork seals & other seals

Chain & Sprockets

You may initially think when you look at a bike 'will do' but by the time you come to think about using the bike 'are done'.

Its not the big stuff that adds to the cost but all the little bits you initially think are insignificant.

Gordon

Reason I'm asking is my TY175 is quite tidy, needs rear shocks and a rear mudguard a few cables but apart from that it will do me for the up and coming Classic twinshock rounds.

I find it hard to stop myself from 'going the whole hog' and spending

Very nice Johnnyboxer, Fair play mate.

I just found out some old video footage of myself and a couple of mates riding the Knighton 2day in midwales in the early 90's I had a 305 Fantic, loved that bike........ and seeing it again it makes me want to go out and buy one to do up for the same reasons you mentioned.

Best take off me rose tinted specs before the wife catches on :wacko:

i think the countershaft is for a tlr 200

Interesting !

The TLR250 countershaft is a one-off ie this is the only bike it is fitted on - I contacted Appleyards and like Hens Teeth was a simple description. Honda have it listed as obsolete/not available. There are numerous bodges you can do to fix sprocket onto shaft but the main problem with them is wear betwwen the sprocket and locating splines.

Thanks

Gordon

Gollner converted gear boxes, but the countershaft may possibly have been one of them.........in which case there are a few still around.

The Gollner TLR250 countershaft is a std TLR250 part.

the wear which causes the problem is the 'splines' which drive the sprocket rather than locating the circlip. The splines wear with the sprocket 'rattlling' on the shaft with dirt/grit etc between the sprocket and the sahft increasing the wear. The wear can be reduced by fixing the sprocket onto the shaft so it is not able to rock or rattle, partially by turning or milling washers so the sprocket is fixed securely and by shimming the splines between the sprocket and shaft.

Similar problems are also seen on other Hondas which have no cush drive to take up any shocks on the drive train.

easy to cure in the way I outlined earlier

Trouble is this is bolting the carthorse door once the horse has bolted. If a bike has been run for several years with a sprocket rockimg on a shaft there is very little metal left for the splines on the sprocket to drive on. I have repaired this on my bike but if I could have acquired a new countershaft I would have replaced it and then ensured that the sprocket was never 'loose'

Edited by g4321

g4321 spoke to Tim at gordon farleys today to ask him if the countershaft on my 250 tlr is a 200tlr one he said it is.He also said just because some parts are know classed by honda as obsolete some motorbike shops have still got some original parts in stock. ;)

TLR250 piston rings!

Rings are still available - were they were 6 weeks ago when i fitted a set to my bike!

By the sounds of things the TLR200 and 250 countershafts must be interchangeable - wish I'd known this before.