99 315r Died And Now No Spark

manxmann3

Hello. 1999 315r. Started second kick no probs. Was out on road riding to meet mates. Prob ridden for 10 mins and just died while i was riding. Then nothing. Theres no spark. Have tried another plug and still nothing. It was ridden for about an hour in snow week before, no probs. Washed, wd40 on bike. Now this carry on. Has anyone any ideas? Thanks

Yes thats what I would try first, its a possibility that some water has earthed the kill switch.

I had a 99 mont with a similar problem that would run for 10 mins then no spark, half an hour later the spark would reappear for another 10 mins, that turned out to be the stator coils breaking down. New coils fixed that but cost a fortune.

Good luck

Look in manual or download pages from one of the threads on here. Tells you what to check with a multimeter and go from there.

Look for people rewinding stators in TMX or on the web - Ive used somebody in the west county a few years ago.

Good luck

• 10 months later...

Hello again. Have just decided to start riding my 99 montesa again, have only ridden a couple of times since posting my problems with no spark.

Well its playing up again. This might sound stupid but should it be a really bright clear spark to look at? The spark is really feint! It wont start at all. Tried the same plug in my ktm lead and it sparks like mad.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Once i get this sorted this time then ill defo sell, time for something newer and hopefully ore reliable.

Thanks.

Thanks for reply.

It is sparking but really feintly. Not bright like my ktm sparks. Is this normal?

Doesnt seem good enough to start the bike.

I've never had trouble with the Montesa but on some Shercos you cant even see the spark in the daytime.