1999 Sherco 250

rezurect

Alrighty people,

Looking for a bit of worldy advice. i am currently in the process of stripping my bike down to replace all duff bits and service the engine. My only problem is the bolt that goes through the swinging arm and the engine at the back.

When i tried to take it out the head sheared of the bolt which has made the job of getting it out a total nightmare....... :crying:

Any suggestions on the best way to get it out????

All suggestions welcome

Cheers

Iain..... :crying:

give it a good dowsing in penitrating oil and leave it over night, then a good drift and a hammer! When you put the new one in make sure you grease it well and regrease it every year!

Would also help the penetrating oil get in if you leant the bike over and made a funnel for the oil with some duct tape and an old plastic bottle withthe bottom cut off.

I reckon i will give it a go with the oil....... Its a right pain in the a*** that it snapped cause it was the only bloody thing that was holding the job up.

Everything is going to get a right good copaslipping up when it goes back together although refitting the bash plate is going to be a challenge........ :)

The job is back on hold at the mo anyway due to my wifes horse booting me in the leg today....... :crying:

Will keep you posted..... literally.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Iain :o

refitting the bash plate is going to be a challenge........ :)

If you have or can find somebody with a mechanical or ideally a Hydraulic press the bash plate can be "adjusted" so that the shape is more conducive to remounting. I have done it about 4 times. Just keep a close eye on it. We did have to bend it a little bit farther than it needed because as the pressure is let off the bash plate springs back a bit.

If you have or can find somebody with a mechanical or ideally a Hydraulic press the bash plate can be "adjusted" so that the shape is more conducive to remounting. I have done it about 4 times. Just keep a close eye on it. We did have to bend it a little bit farther than it needed because as the pressure is let off the bash plate springs back a bit.

Make that springs back a lot, you can get really brutal with the bending & it makes refitting much easier. Really brutal & hard on the ears is using a sledgehammer & blocks of wood on the ground :)

Pays to do it with the bike close by & keep going until it fits up nice

I do this anytime I have the bashplate off

Yeah i thought there may be a bit of brutal bending required but all that is still to come......... The leg is alright today after the stupid feckin horse kicked it.......

Should get back to the job at hand soon..

Laters

Iain :)

refitting the bash plate is going to be a challenge........ :)

unbolt the two arms what hold the rad in place and pull them forwards slightly, put the 2 allen bolts in the bottom of the skid plate and then get some bolts with the same thread as the two front bolts about 60mm long (not to long will hit the engine) wind one side in enough to fit the original ones in, worked every time

I usually put the two bolts in the front of the bash plate (near header pipe) just loose of course and use vise grips to pull the bottom of bash plate up to the mounting tabs under the engine.

Redneck engineering.

Just drill it out and put a new one in. Might be a long process which requires a few drill bits but that what i;ve always done when I've snapped/sheared rusty bolts on cars

I doubt you own a drill that size! No less anything to drive it! :rotfl:

• 6 months later...

************** Update ******************

Well its been a while to get to this stage but finally the engine is free from the frame and i am in the process of overhauling the engine and trying to find where the knocking noise was coming from.

It appears that in the past a previous owner (with zero skill) has damaged the engine casing slightly when stripping it down but i have a fix for this.

The frame is cracked but is due to be welded next monday.

Once i have ordered the vast array of new bits for the engine i shall proceed with rebuild.

Having read other posts regarding overheating (which my bike did just before giving up) i reckon there may be a fuel mix issue i.e. i need to run it at 80:1?

Well enough rambling, i shall hopefully be backin service before the year is out.

Cheers

Iain :lol: