Another Modified Sherpa

wayne_weedon

Looks nice Javier.

Not sure about the wheels though, just not to my own taste.

Raising the rear mudguard improves the look a lot, and I always like the Puma Style paintjob on the tank.

Extra head steady doesn't look too functional though. Would of been better to just recreate the later Bultaco one.

Wayne.....

Looks nice Javier.

Not sure about the wheels though, just not to my own taste.

Raising the rear mudguard improves the look a lot, and I always like the Puma Style paintjob on the tank.

Extra head steady doesn't look too functional though. Would of been better to just recreate the later Bultaco one.

Wayne.....

Agreed the head steady is poor. The forks are cheating surely? Dellorto carb?

Agreed the head steady is poor. The forks are cheating surely? Dellorto carb?

I was trying to be polite re the head steady :wall: The properly triangulated late Bultaco one was what they should have always been. I know for a fact I've welded and reinforced quite a number of the earlier pressed steel steadies.

Forks look stock with 3 stay lugs removed and the trendy more modern looking arrangment for mounting the mudguard.

Wayne....

This are the ultimates Wayne. Young engineer passionate and enthusiast about Bultaco.

nice but looks a bit too std for my liking. The exhaust could surely be improved and the steering angle then what about shock position and swing arm.

Thats why i liked the one in the video soooooo much.

Looks pretty though but not cutting edge in a form follows function kinda way.

Down to style and taste i suppose.

I think Paul, it all depends in how you drive and your trial level.

We very frecuently forget how good and efective a series bike (properly tuned of course) is for an average trials rider. Any old 199 just with a pair of good shocks can do almost anything in the proper hands.

Last year in Mallorca

Good point Javier. We have a mutual friend who lives locally who i get to ride with, not as often as i would like, and he can make a bike, almost any bike, talk even at his age. Dont tell him i mentioned his age :wall:

I always enjoy tinkering and modifying the bikes so what they look like is purely down to personal preference. Me i like a minimalist form follows function look, always loved the look of the Fantic 300 pro, so my "dream bike" would always look "much developed" when compared to a std bike. Had some photos sent me of Angels Delay Fantic the other day and that looks really super.

As for performance i'm that bad a rider i think i'm beyond technical help so the bike wouldnt make much difference maybe even make me ride worse as some of the better riders bikes i have tried did.

Do like to see bikes being developed though. Bring em on.

Any piccys of a "developed" OSSA MAR ?????

I had a ride on that Ossa last year, unfortunately, only in the carpark, not in sections. Not massively altered but it was impressive.

Standard MAR frame. Headstock altered, lowered footrests, longer Montesa 242 swingarm to retain wheelbase.

Engine, 250cc, felt like it had a bit of work done to it but not much, no reed valve. Ran very cleanly and pulled better than standard but not a massive difference. Flywheel lightened a bit maybe. Can't remember if the exhaust or airbox were modified, don't think they were. Dellorto carb if I remember rightly.

Clutch worked perfectly, light and precise

Front suspension improved. The Ossa (in my opinion) has one of the best front fork actions of it's era, smooth, doesn't top or bottom and the damping is consistent through the entire stroke. This one had much lighter damping and felt more modern with a quicker action and stronger springing - very very good, just like the Puma Bult and Montesas I tried. Rear schocks felt excellent.

The brakes were very precise.

These changes which are not huge but make all the difference in the feel of the bike. It felt light and flickable and I could ride it in a way that I can't ride my own 1975 310 MAR. Using the clutch and brakes is easy, don't even have to think about it, just one finger. That, coupled with the reworked suspension allows the bike to be ridden clutch/brake style if required as it takes no effort. I could actually hop the front and back and hopped it round in a full circle, impossible on my own bike (for me) as it takes far too much effort.

Very impressive bike, still looks like a MAR except for the swingarm (but still a twinshock item) and the cosmetics. Nothing that looks out of place. I'd love to have tried it in the sections.

There are one or two people in Spain at the moment who really know how to set these bikes up nicely.

Yeah and where can i get one of those swingarms OOOOOOOOOOOH i like much i like :wall:

There are about 3 different threads.

Ossa

Montesa

Bultaco

Have fun!

As for the swinging Arm, have to look out for someone breaking a 242 or 330 Montesa I guess. No doubt there's others out there that could be utilised. Even a modified mono one <cough>

Wayne....