Kawasaki 4stroke

booma

I can see no reason why I could not ride it in any twinshock round its not a tricked up bike just a Montesa with a different engine from 1978

I can't either, it's a period bike with a period engine fitted so I can't see anyone would have any grounds to complain about it.

Very nice job and be nice to see it at some Miller rounds.

no idea of the weight feels similar to my old Yamaha ty250 twinshock as for the gearing it has a 10 tooth front and a 48 tooth rear running a 520 chain, being a Montesa rear wheel it seems its either a 44 tooth or 48 tooth or have 1 made special, I found the the gearing very low which is how I like it, 1st gear would be good for very tight full lock sections in dry conditions, 2nd was good all day in the very wet/slippery conditions perferct for the nadge and then give it some throttle for a short or long climb, the engine pulls 3rd from standstill for open sections and also good for very long climbs, I have extended the clutch arm by 10mm giving a very light feel, the bike is happy running on tickover clutch out in 1st or 2nd gear, its been about 3 years since I last rode a 4 stroke (honda tlr200) having changed to a Yamaha ty250 and now riding a Fantic 200 so it will only take a short time for me to re-adjust to the 4 stroke riding style, on the whole I am very pleased the way the bike looks and rides the power is nice brakes\suspension\handling is excellent and the exhuast note is perferct very similar to a Montesa 4rt

Just like to say thanks for all the positive comments on my recent project their will always be bits'n'bobs to improve on as time goes by, I hope that this has sparked a few of you to build something similar or re-kindle a dorment project, good luck to you all Booma

ps if anybody wishes to use\save the photo's for any reason then you have my full permission

Edited by Booma

Just like to say thanks for all the positive comments on my recent project their will always be bits'n'bobs to improve on as time goes by, I hope that this has sparked a few of you to build something similar or re-kindle a dorment project, good luck to you all Booma

ps if anybody wishes to use\save the photo's for any reason then you have my full permission

yeah i saved the pics to throw darts at!!!lol..nice bike dude.

Yes indeed, that is a very neat looking bike and gives me the incentive to do something with the spare 247 rolling chasis I've got kicking around in the shed.

Would just like to know whether the engine went straight in or did you have to modify the frame much?

Cheers

I like this a lot, has some real appeal. Nice job :P

It is a reminder to me when I raced a KLX250 back in '81 (a similar engine), before the XR Honda's hit their straps soon after with a better bike.

To make mine more competitive, I modified the motor somewhat. The beauty of this engine is that its a long stroke engine, perfect for a trials application, but somewhat heavy.

I know you can coax more out of the engine, I tried to square the bore up, giving it around 275cc with a Moriwaki piston from a Z1000, White Brothers exhaust and Super Trapp silencer. A cam grind also helped and failed (another story). A bigger carb was on the cards, but never got around to getting one fitted.

The thing I liked about the Super Trapp silencer was when I got the bike licensed for road use, I had to pull many of the stainless rings out to quieten the bike to get it passed. It also made the engine torque a whole lot more noticeable, so open loud exhausts dont really cut it with trials, but this silencer is tune-able, a nice feature.

Also the KLX had electronic ignition, something you may want to consider, correct me if I am wrong to yours having points.