Gas Gas 'magic Button'

2shock

Hello

I've recently seem an '09 Gas Gas 250 Pro with a button on the handlebars that apparntly gives different power options simular to the one found on some enduro and sports bikes.

It had a 'sun' and 'rain' symbol on the switch implying harder os softer power delivery according to conditions?

A bit of research has turned up no information about this on here or various other site's and a friend's identical bike hasn't got one, nor has he ever heard of such a thing!

Has some joker fitted a switch off a Gas Gas enduro bike to confuse the ignorant (me!) or am i just not looking for information in the right place?

Please let me know before i buy the bike and make a twit of myself by constantly faffing about with a switch that isn't connected to anything!!!

Cheers

Thats the CDI switch and changes the ignition mapping to one of two pre grogrammed curves. Your right, one is set to produce full power (sun) and the other set to produce softer power (rain). It been on all the GG's for a few years now. BTW: not a huge difference between the two settings - the rain setting is most noticable at higher rpms. You can take it off and just have the sun setting (open circuit) all the time or som people like to put it in a different location - like on the rad hose (where the 2010's have them)

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

how do you just fit one to your bike? Do you have to have a different CDI aswell?

Thanks

Sam

Sam,

You will need a CDI set up for it, you just can't add it to any bike. The 2005 GasGas bikes came with two wires, an orange on and a black one with female/male connections, up under the front of the fuel tank. These could be connected/disconnected to give the two pre-programmed ignition maps that differ abpout 2500 RPM, one with a steeper rise. In 2006 the sun/rain switch was added to the handlebars. 05 bikes can just have the switch added to make it like 06 on up.

Or just add the switch to your bike and fake out your buddies....:thumbup:

Jon

Seriously the difference is very slight it's not worth worrying over.

There was a huge diffs on my 2006 Raga. If some wit (as some do..) changed the setting from rain to sun it would pop and fart very unhealthily. It was fine in the higher rev range but did not like the lower rev range. Answer, remove switch. The default setting is rain, so no probs.

Edited by TooFastTim