Nr750....how Much!

marky g

105,000 !

Probably ok if there was no recession, but not sure now. I understand that there was only 4 or 5 into the UK so it may not be unreasonable.

AND how the hell did they make oval piston rings that sealed on an oval bore!!!!! That alone is worth 105k.

I'd buy an oval piston trials bike !.....

105,000 !

Probably ok if there was no recession, but not sure now. I understand that there was only 4 or 5 into the UK so it may not be unreasonable.

AND how the hell did they make oval piston rings that sealed on an oval bore!!!!! That alone is worth 105k.

I'd buy an oval piston trials bike !.....

What are the benefits to an oval piston engine?

What are the benefits to an oval piston engine?

As I understood, the NR750 (actually the "RC40") was built to comply with international roadracing rules that limited the number of cylinders the engine could have. The NR's V-4 is essentially a V-8 with conjoined cylinders. The engine had 8 valves per cylinder (and 2 plugs, 2 connecting rods, 2 injectors etc.), which addressed the problem of reduced volumetric effeciency with larger valves in larger cylinders.

The bike was not that successful as a racer, but sure showcased Honda's ability to "build it because we can" corporate philosophy. There are a few of us still around that remember the legendary RC166 250/6.

I would imagine that parts are quite dear at one's local Honda dealer.........:wall:

Jon

Should sell, its only done 1360 miles

I would think so. They are fairly rare, I think only about 200 were made. The NR is the later street version of the race bike, which did not dethrone the two-strokes as intended. It didn't do much on the race track but it did cement Honda's reputation as a technological giant at the time.

I already talked to my wife about us making an "investment in motorcycle engineering history" that I could proudly display in my shop. She said "fugitdaboudit" in no uncertain terms...........

Jon

It was very successful in endurance racing. It's grand prix career was ..um..spectacularly unsuccessful.

Yea, you're right, I forgot about that, they did quite well. I was thinking GP, but the bike was a very good endurance racer.

Maybe I can con my wife into buying a historic endurance racer. Hmmmm, probably not, darn........

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Actually it was the NR500 Race bike that used "Oval" pistons, the Production bike NR 750 used elliptical pistons, nit picky I know but there is a difference :thumbup: The pistons are oblong shaped, but with rounded-off corners

Edited by Lightfeet