Majesty 'boost' Bottle ?

johnnyboxer

One has appeared on ebay for a 175/200.

What was it?

Fits between carb and reedvalve and connects via pipe from the inlet rubber.

Is it a gimmick.................don't remember any trials bikes with 'boost bottles'............although Yamaha YZ & IT's of that era had this type of arrangement.

Can anyone enlighten me ..................I'm sure Chris (Honda RS) will be able to help me out.

"Ee, when I were a lad" ;)

I remember splitting the petrol tank on an old 125cc roadbike that we used to terrorise the local community with when I was about 14.

I whipped the knackered tank off and taped a fairy liquid bottle to the frame with the petrol pipe going straight to the carb - it soon ended in tears when the bike burst into flames with me and a mate on the back of it. We were doing about 50mph down a cobbled back street at the time and were being chased by the Police. I was hard on the brakes screaming at him to bail off so that I could get off but he crapped himself and I got treated to roasted nuts on an open barbeque.

Matey on the back said later "I thought we'd go faster if I squeezed the bottle to speed up the petrol flow !!!"

We only tried it the once for some reason :ph34r:

Yep, some of the blokes in my club fitted boost bottles to their TY175s back in the 70s. They made their own which, if I remember correctly, was a cannister of some sort fitted to one of the downtubes from the headstock connected to the inlet via a pipe. Cheap and simple.

Not sure how they work but the purpose was to improve throttle response and engine pick up from low revs/tickover. It must have worked as a good few of them had them and they were blokes who knew what they were doing - seemed to be to me anyway. One of them even ran his 175 with no fork springs, used air pressure only. A bit brave I thought as it only needed to lose pressure and that was it - trial over. They worked very well as I remember though and he won a good few club events on it.

HondaRS

Very confused about your explanation about how a boost bottle worked.

How could the charge in the bottle be drawn into the engine when the reeds were closed. The reeds closed because the pressure had equilized thus letting the reeds close. Once that happend there would be no negative pressure in the cylinder pulling anything from a boost bottle.

And how could it boost the the charge drawn into the engine.

If you ask nicely I will inform you of the real reason or intent of a boost bottle. There are a lot of misconceptions around and that is one of them.

I think you should go back to your day job of taking the Hush puppies for a walk from the shoe store or even your night job at the butchers (acting the pig in the window). ;) And leave the techy stuff to me

PS: I have just fired up my new M4RT what a beauty :ph34r:

M4 Roper Todd

Edited by M4RT

The boost bottle was supposed to act as a "plenum chamber" or "Capacitor" between the carb and barrel and was supposed to smooth the flow of air/petrol mixture by storing the mixture in times of plenty and slowly releasing it when needed.