Pinking Beta.

stewart3871

has anybody got any info on how to stop 'pinking'. I have an 03 rev3 250, which runs fine most of the time but when its working a bit harder, or on uphill climbs, or held on a constant throttle on flat ground, it develops that annoying metallic knocking sound, that i think is pinking. Running the bike on PJ1 Silverfire semi-synthetic, at 70:1 as recommended.

Any advice would be appreciated. ;)

Stewart3871 (what kind of name is that?)

Sounds like something you buy at Boots.

Anyway back to the pinking problem. Carefull about taking carb advice from billT. He is a Scotti and rode a Beta for many years, I guess that says it all.

In future just e-mail me directly and I can help you out with any techy question you might have.

I have just struck a deal with Andy to be his onsight technical guru.

He supply the punters, I answer the question and he gets the small fee that is charged :ph34r:

Start firing away with the questions.

M4RT ;)

Edited by M4RT

At the risk of stepping on the toes of the great all-knowing oracle M4RT (ahem), I had this exact same problem on my '03 Rev3 and solved it by simply going up one size on the pilot jet from 30 to 32.5. As HondaRS mentioned, using a higher octane fuel helps (but didn't cure it completely for me). Good luck!

Sch-tewart - do a search in the BETA forum for 'pinging'

At the top of the Trials Central page, hit Search

On the Search page, enter pinging as the keyword

Set the Search Where to Bike Specific ..BETA

Set the Search Posts From to Any Date

You'll hit nine good threads on the topic. So, to answer your question, yes.

-cp

;)

Edited by clarkp

many thanks for all the info lads. it seems there are 3 things i should try having read all the threads relating to this topic;

need to try shell optimax fuel, possibly a champion n7ycc plug, and maybe increase the pilot jet. (once i get the carb off & see whats in there at the moment)

Once again thanks for the info, i'll let you know how i get on next week. ;)

P.S. sorry about the name M4RT, I'll try and come up with something a bit more trendy!

Edited by stewart3871

Hi Stewart..

the Champion plug DEFINATELY works better on mine..and our Beta importer here in Hong Kong was told to ALWAYS use the Champion...but I think the best thing i did (mine used to ping as well) was to switch to better petrol. Makes a big difference.

Good luck! :)