Sherco 290 Case Guard

scotty97

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good eye there copey! That's what comes stock on the 3.2's

Mmmm, interisting! Never really looked! I think this may explain something hidden in the back of my poor old memory cells!

I suddenly want a 10T on it! Different bike! Possibly not so quick to come on the power? Keep it in the low revs and let it chug? Sweet down low? Wish I had one to play with.

Send me a "thingie" :thumbup:

Ha ha copemech,,,Thats not a "THING" thats a "BEAST"...

Yer i was running 9 front 46 rear for a while, to slow it down..

I ran with 11/41 for road road work and would do about 70mph but was hell to ride in sections.

The best i came up with was 9/42 which still was fairly quick ,but still very useable in sections.

All sold now and now on a 290 stroker.....

Hi chewy,, have you any photos of the foot rest that you make and any other parts..???

Also did you find any lighter spring for the sherco clutch ???

Don't know if its allowed but I am making (slowly) a little website www.trialscontrol.co.uk and yes I found springs which are working well, thought I should give them a few more hours running to settle down but makes big difference to lever action. problem is getting time to ride as I have a dodgy back wheel rim on my 2011 st 250. it is one hell of a job to get this sorted ( I.ve been complaining for 3 months) for some reason.

That a rellay good website you got there chewy...nice to see local people makeing some nice parts for us trial riders..

I'd be intrested to know how the springs are going,, as i've done the dan willams mod and removed two springs,but i still get a bit of slip in top gear..i'll send you a PM so we can keep this thread open for the clutch saver...

On which note if you would like the one i have so you can take some measurements ,then i'm more than happy to send your way..

Cheers mike

Is anybody still following this thread? I 've just got around to having a look at this "job" drew up basic 2d profile and machined it from a scrap of whit nylon just to get "in the parish" it occured to me that as the prime function of a chain guard her is to absorb the energy of a flailing chain that it might be a good idea to make it from nylon ,it's light looks good on 2011 model and most impotantly would soak up the energy better than ally particularly as all we have to mount it are the 2 bolts holding the clutch master cylinder on. I don't want to be negative about this job but it would serve little purpose if the chain whaked this and ended up bending or breaking out the bolts from the casing. I wonder if and what other folk think of making it from white (I'm sure colours are available) nylon instead of ally.

Is anybody still following this thread? I 've just got around to having a look at this "job" drew up basic 2d profile and machined it from a scrap of whit nylon just to get "in the parish" it occured to me that as the prime function of a chain guard her is to absorb the energy of a flailing chain that it might be a good idea to make it from nylon ,it's light looks good on 2011 model and most impotantly would soak up the energy better than ally particularly as all we have to mount it are the 2 bolts holding the clutch master cylinder on. I don't want to be negative about this job but it would serve little purpose if the chain whaked this and ended up bending or breaking out the bolts from the casing. I wonder if and what other folk think of making it from white (I'm sure colours are available) nylon instead of ally.

A few thoughts, it may work ok,

If anything , it must work as a "guide" to prevent the wadding of the chain as much as an impact absorber, and thus the top end of it needs some strength(the part that Chris said got bent)if done in plastic, so a similar slightly thicker x-y profile, yet a bit deeper z axis (tapering to the main body) may be in order to achieve the neccessary regidity of the top arm.

As far as preventing fracture of the case bolt embossments, the slave cylinder itself is well bedded into the case, thus providing good strength. Never seen one break out, yet only slave cyl damage and top screw damage, so it one were to wrap up a chain "that severely" to do it in, it was going to happen reguardless.

I did notice at a glance that the normal chain clearance to the MC is 3-4mm at best with a standard 10t gear on the 2T and regina light chain at the closest point.. This clearance is probably reduced to nothing with a heavy link chain.

M2C

I still don't like all that chain smack transferring onto those two hex bolts.

If it's chain breakage you are worried about I reckon it would be better with a hard rubber block that covers the slave cylinder and rests up against the flywheel cover. Won't look so pretty but it would go a long way to absorbing the impact of a broken chain and protecting the case too.

Please forgive my poor excuse for a drawing below...but hopefully you'll get the idea.

Best of balance.

Neo

ChainProtector.jpg

I did notice at a glance that the normal chain clearance to the MC is 3-4mm at best with a standard 10t gear on the 2T and regina light chain at the closest point.. This clearance is probably reduced to nothing with a heavy link chain.

The bike in the V-Mar picture has a standard D.I.D. dirt bike chain on it.

OK, so here's why you might want one.

Just this last weekend my son's chain tensioner broke on the last loop. This was the result. Got lucky it didn't mess it up more.

The only reason this bike didn't have one on is it's a 2011 and the old case guards won't fit. While at this same event measurements where taken off this bike and a 2011 case guard should be coming soon.

slave_cylinder_gash_003.JPG

The bike in the V-Mar picture has a standard D.I.D. dirt bike chain on it.

Like I said the DID 520DS works a treat (if you don't need a half link) but it's heavier.

Like no one listens to me!! :wall: - :P

Best of balance.

Neo

Like I said the DID 520DS works a treat (if you don't need a half link) but it's heavier.

Like no one listens to me!! :wall: - :P

Best of balance.

Neo

Oh i am sure it does,point being the stocker is close, and Chris's pic possibly suggests the clearance may be reduced slightly from my estimated 3-4mm down to 2-3 with the bit heavier linked chain. No big deal in itself.

On the pics of the new bike, seems tome that there is a little change, sure the fitment problem due the hose entry angle going into the slave cyl. and screw pattern ????

Sure Chris knows more specifics. :rolleyes:

Edited by copemech