Sheffield '05 - Impressed?

nokesy

Well said crosser.

This year 16 of us went for the first time and none had any compliants about commentary or the seatting only people wasting their programs and making paper areoplanes.

The show was brilliant and we all enjoyed ourselfs

G.RASP

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to the Sheffield event every year (as well as the occasional European indoor) and agree with the criticism this year. I was sitting towards the back this time, and the sound quality was appalling from the start (responsibility of the venue rather than trial organisers I presume?).

The atmosphere was a bit muted this year for some reason (not helped by Fuji's fake attempts at two sections, after which his support did drop noticeably).

The format at half-time was dire to say the least! Nobody around me appeared to be interested in the drivel that unfolded on stage, and many were muttering their disapproval. Definitely need to bring back some cycle trials riders (probably hundreds available these days with much smaller fee than Ot Pi) or even better would be a Colley display - always a favourite with everyone.

My wife whinged about the car park fee, but the charge didn't bother or surprise me at all.

Anyway, whatever people say about this year's Sheffield, I have every intention of returning year after year, as would most trials followers I think, so it's really a case of giving the paying customers what they deserve. Perhaps post a poll for the format of next year's event, and include any cost factors (i.e extra

Edited by tobeee

May I say 'thanks' to Crosser for his reply. Nice to know someone at the sharp-end is taking notice of the punters comments, and passing them on. I have mentioned this elsewhere, but what does p##s me off is the chucking of paper planes towards the sections. I saw parents encouraging their kids to do this as riders were tackling the sections!! Irresponsible or what? Surely the slightest distraction to a rider at a critical point on a section could prove disasterous, and God forbid, end in a serious injury. I suggest selling the programmes instead, instead of giving these dead-heads and their kids ammo!

Whereas the majority of the population may agree with a banning on tobacco advertising I would say they are very much against the double standards demonstrated by the Labour Party (I was refering to Tony Blair figuratively) and the fact that a major donator to the Labour Party was excluded from this ban. The banning of this form of sponsorship in Crosser's words, 'was a massive blow' and therefore like it or not makes politics relevant to this topic.

Also the majority of the country did not vote Labour!

Whilst it may have been a massive blow as to whether Crosser and lampkin had a viable buisness by running Sheffield you can't be seriously suggesting that tobacco sponsorship is a good thing?

Well, I guess that it depends on how you look at it. From a purely logical, pragmatic standpoint then I'd have to say yes, the tobacco sponsorship was good because it enabled the organisers to provide the big screens, interval entertainment and a decent PA in previous years.

Morally and ethically it's a different matter of course. But based on who's standards of morality?

Blatant trolling - who'll bite?

Edited by neonsurge

you wanna count yourselves lucky lads, when we got there all the car parks where full ! My feelings on re-flection where it's still un-believable entertainment for a relative small expense for the last 2 years i've took my dad, we didn't have as good a seat this year, and like previous people mentioned you couldn't see some parts of the sections, where we sat the loud speaker was good ,but the main scoreboard was a bit of a disaster, in the interval while dodging flying paper aeroplanes we both agreed that the 4 strokes had took the edge off the event,cos the riders on them clearly struggled with them, but as we walked out I asked him if he thought it was better or worse than last year, he replied the course was better this year,apart from the waterfall should have stayed, and the 4 strokes spoiled it, but how can anyone not enjoy and be amazed at what those lads can do he replied !!! says it all really, roll on sheffield 06 ! we'll be there.

Apparently yes. For example back in 1948 they passsed a law saying we should all go to school how daft was that, eh. They said we all had to start paying NI so the health service, pensions and the like were available to all, another daft law. Then the worst of all they abolished the death penalty. Shall I go on?

There's a big difference between legislation which is ultimately benefits society as a whole and that which borders on the violation of civil liberties. Ironically, smoking is one of those issues which has a foot in both camps and I guess that's why it tends to provoke such debate.

Most people are capable of making sensible, informed decisions based on a well-developed sense of social responsibility about their lifestyle and how they interact with others. Unfortunately, some people can't and it's the need for legislation to accomodate this "lowest common denominator" that results in accusations of a nanny state.

Fundamentally I agree with Ishy, but it's a very difficult balancing act for any government.

To get things back on track, I was stunned to see the NVidia logo all over the place. If you're not into computers then you may not know them, but they are a $3.5 Billion company who are huge in the graphics card industry. No, not as big as tobacco, but a great name to have associated with the event, particularly for younger folk who are into their PCs and having the best bits etc.

I agree with andy when I first looked in the arena and saw the nvidia logo it gave me a real lift, I thought at last a major sponsor was involved with sheffield, we might even get a trials game for pc,xbox etc but what a let down when they were only there to sponsor a section, and (mainly) to promote their involvement in road racing, however I must add that although I dont think it was as good an event as in years past, it is still amazing good value and a privilege to watch the best in the world performing what is the most skillful of all motor sports.

p.s. just to add to my good value argument it cost me close on

Ausy300pro, must have too much coin, ill relieve you of some of it if your in't

club on wed night, are you out sunday practising cos i dont think theres much on, & as regards the most skillful of motor sports i assume you dont mean me!! :)