Kt250 Tank Problem

bambam_n_chunx

Hi, has anyone else suffered from their KT tank leaking. It looks as though mine has a slight crack where the rubber strap pulls over.

As its going to need welding can anyone help with the original colour codes or where I would be able to buy the tank decals.

Thanks

Andy

Yeah, I've got the same problem with the tank on my KT. It leaks whenever the tank's above reserve level. Haven't taken it off yet to investigate exactly where the problem is but the tank does look pretty rusty inside.

I've seen decals on that well known auction site quite frequently and I saw someone selling them at the Classic Jap Bike Show in Stonleigh a couple of months ago. Can't remember the name but will keep an eye out for them at the Classic Show in Stafford next weekend.

Cheers

Edited by Jamieson

Mine was severely rusted. After separating the top and bottom of the tank I attacked the rust with a sand blaster and wire wheel and it soon became obvious that there was more rust than steel in some spots, so I made an aluminum tank.

myktc.jpg

I don't know of any direct-replacement tanks for the KT so you'll probably either have to reclaim a stock tank, make a new one, or try and adapt a "universal" (which often seems to mean "fits nothing in the universe without significant modification") tank. You might be able to pull a mold off the stock tank and make a composite replica.

cheers,

Michael

I use a plastic Clarke MFG. tank on my KT that is for a 125 Honda Elsinore and comes in 12 colors. Centermount and petcock(Pingel) are all included as is frame foam. No more leaks or crash worries and it will turn tighter as a bonus. The parts # is 1336 (or 11336). Rust hassles also gone.

http://www.clarkemfg.com/cart/index.php?ma...products_id=461

FWIW, That's listed under the universal tanks as an Elsinore-style tank.

How does it compare in width to the stock KT tank? The KT is rated at 1.5 US gallons and the Clarke is 1.6. It seems like they'd end up about the same for width at the knees and up where the fork tubes get close in the front.

Buying that tank would be a lot less bother than making a new one! Thanks for the info about that.

cheers,

Michael

Michael Moore.... It is slightly shorter and about the same width. You do have to relocate the HDI gold box( I put mine back under the left side panel,no autolube, at the rear using stock wires). A nice added bonus is that you can grind down the stops for the forks too and this tank allows it to turn farther. Make sure you keep it off the header pipe by using plenty of foam under it. I also put about 6 in. of heat-proof alum tape on the bottom for good measure. Cures the rust and crash blues and your" can't find a petcock" problems are also cured. The stock tanks are notorious for rusting out really fast especially along the front lower seams.