Volcanic Chaos!

Andy

Well that's that sorted then! Glad at least I now know and won't be going to the airport and hanging around on the offchance I might fly. I now have two days booked off work and nothing to do :) Well actually I have plenty to do and a lot of it TC related. Be a shame to miss the opening round to see how much controversy there is with the new rules, but it's the riders stranded trying to get out there I feel sorry for. For me it's just a hobby. For them it's their bread and butter :rotfl:

post-20-1271356888.jpg

By all accounts:

Dougie & Jack Sheppard managed to get on a Eurostar crossing about 8pm and will drive down to Spain from France.

Wiggy is currently rushing to catch a Eurostar crossing at around 11pm (with the Dabster in tow) If they make it they'll drive down to Spain.

Dibs has been at the GG factory and is already in Spain

Brownie is travelling by truck and already across the Channel

The Challoners tend to take the truck most places so assuming they're already across the Channel.

No idea about Jono Richardson. Thinking they'll be in the van and already across.

Anybody any ideas on Pat Smage? Hopefully he's in Spain by now. Be a real bugger to get part way then get stuck.

I think Jack C and Jonno are travelling with Dougie tours and Dabster has just left his business and picked up Alexz and Danny Haslam to be minder. They should be on the shuttle right now. Harry Crawford cannot get out of Belfast so will be getting under Audreys toes for the weekend and trying not to be doing any DIY. Brilliant of Dabster and Danny to act so quickly. We are very lucky to have such great friends in the sport.

Piccy from earlier today - brownish streak is the ash cloud which follows the strongets Jetstream wind conveyer, the bigger problem is the ash that doesn't hit the jet but mixes at lower levels

Edited by Slapshot 3

I think Jack C and Jonno are travelling with Dougie tours and Dabster has just left his business and picked up Alexz and Danny Haslam to be minder. They should be on the shuttle right now. Harry Crawford cannot get out of Belfast so will be getting under Audreys toes for the weekend and trying not to be doing any DIY. Brilliant of Dabster and Danny to act so quickly. We are very lucky to have such great friends in the sport.

With Harold's hands he could swim there in about half an hour :rotfl: My phone has been non-stop almost all day. Even had business customers - totally non-Trials - who knew I was going away checking to see if I'd make it. From the conversations I've had with various Trials folk today, ALL the stops have been pulled out to get the lads there one way or another. It doesn't matter us mere Press can't get there. It does matter they do :)

Yes Pat has made it; I got a call from Ryan Young(his new/improved minder) and they were in rental car heading towards the event site after flying to Madrid from Chicago .So no worries for logistics on the team USA. Thanks for wondering Andy.

Good news! Maybe some will not make it! HeHe! :rotfl:

Does Dabster have GPS? :)

Any dust there in the north, Slapshot?

Edited by copemech

Just heard that Jack Sheppard has landed at the event thanks to the supreme service from Dougie Tours. Well done drivers Mart and Ben Hemmo.

Jack Challoner was already there in the TTT truck. Jonny Richardson is there.

Wiggy should be there soon making a full British contingent.

You must NEVER write the Brits off. Espiecially when the Lampkins are involved!

The sheer grit and determination to get there makes me proud to be British.

GOOD LUCK LADS!!!

Nothing that's distinguishable as volcanic certainly not from the Iceland volcano, should be really gritty and sharp particles pretty much like that below, from Mount St Helens eruption, same type of exlosive eruption rather than an effusive. Nice clear night here, looking forward to sunset

1660km is not really bad in US terms for some or most travellers.

I get the sense that they have over reacted on things as usual here! Seems most that stuff is in a rather narrow jetstream path at altitude, yet could mostly be excluded from the flight paths. If one is not catching excessive dust on the ground, there is little at low altitudes and cretainly not enough to stop transit. They do not stop flights to Arizona just because the wind blows! We get Red Sky here with dust storms!

Good piston motors with real air filters may become popular once again! :wall:

I'm driving 1,938km to ride the OK nats in a couple weeks..... from Thunder Bay, ON, Canada

Toronto Maple Leafs? Really? They really should change it to Leaves. A little bit of embarrasing Canadiana.

Edited by jonny042