Honda Tlr Oil

mick annick

Hi Mick, I've had 2 TLR 250's over the years and run them both on good old Castrol GTX with an oil change every 20hrs or so.

I would imagine that a modern fully Synthetic oil woul be the one to go for now, I cannot see why it makes your clutch slip though!....try a different make of oil.

Mark

I have been using Shell Advance fully synthetic oil in my TLR250 for ages now, change after every 5 trials. No problems with clutch slip or anything, don't know if ultra is a motorcycle specific oil like Advance, you should always use a motorcycle specific oil when using synthetic, as it is designed for use with wet clutches.

...No need for fancy , expensive oils in a Honda..........D :santa1:

I know that Honda road bike's in the 70's & 80's used to have a bad name for premture cam wear, the Cams used to run straight onto the alloy of the cly head, if you didn't change your oil every 1000 mile your cams would eat themselves into the head :P

I cannot remember if my old TLR used to run the cams in bushes or bearings or neither!...dude, oil is cheap engines are not!

Also, it's surprising just how cheap you can get good oil for, if you shop around, try your local motor factors first!! If they stock castrol car oil for example, they can usually get most other castrol oils too if you ask.

Edited by t-shock 250

Thanks everyone

The clutch slip with the Shell Advance Ultra (it is the motorcycle specific one I'm using) goes once the engine is really hot, but it's all but unrideable until it is.

I think I'll give the Silkolene a try first, as Marky says, oil is cheap, engines aren't!

Ta

Hey Mick, it might be worth whipping the cover off and having a look see at your clutch plates/springs.

Sometimes the plates can get glazed, whip them out and a rub them VERY LIGHTLY on a flat concrete surface, just enought to take the glaze off them.

Go gently now dude :o

Marky

• 3 years later...

hi just wondering can you help me out i have a honda rtl250s and im not sure where the frame number is on them i need to findout the age of the bike it looks verry old and i need a set of floats for the carb (willy) i would b greatfull if you can help