Pvl For Tiger Cub

twinshock

Gentlemen

I ride a 1964 Cub in Classic trials in Australia and at present its fitted with a Boyer Bransden ignition system but I am reading all the stuff over there about the PVL system being that much better.

So, which is the best system guys and what are the problems in fitting it ? any photo's to look at??

Also the best place to buy one from>

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Twinshock

great product has NEVER let me down in five or so years.. hot cold laid up it starts and runs spot on , definately fit and forget..

fitting is one of two issues, you will need the crankcase in bits and some machining done ( i've heard it can be done in situ with a drememl but not seen it done) the second issue is making sure ie from a very reputable source that it is a trials specific PVL and not some other designed for another use, other than that great piece of kit worth the money ( and that from a true Yorkshire man, born on Ilkley Moor)

PS where in Lancashire is Australia? I say Lancashire as isnt Australia where they used to send convicts for punishment?

Spend some and let us know ;)

The electrex does look good, and living in the cover should be easy to fit, lots of advantages really. Just never met anyone using it.

The PVL really requires a stripped motor and good engineering skills to fit it. Loads of people use it because when fitted correctly, it works brilliantly.

Has anyone got any knowledge of the Electrex unit, sounds good if it requires no machining.

Talk to me someone, I've got money to spend

Twinshock

Mate of mine has an Electrex fitted to his Sprite. Very happy with it, bike performs very well, ignition has been faultless and they were very helpful with fitting/set-up.

I`ve had electrex fitted to my C15 for nearly a year now and am pleased with it, it cured a low rev "cough" that usually resulted in a 5. poor low rev charging= weak spark = :P

fitting was straight forwards enough (thanks Dave) the only problem really was the slots on the stator plate are quite a bit wider than the stator posts so setting the air gap around the rotor was a bit of a pain, a removable thin plastic spacer that fits around the rotor and holds the air gap might make it easier i think.

one other thing, now that i don`t have any points to fiddle with/clean/adjust etc i now find myself sat in the garage twiddling my thumbs looking for other "jobs" that need doing. ;)

Hi Twinshock,

I have ridden my Cub fitted with PVL for 6years with no problems. I have attached photo of the mounting lug arrangment for the stator also chain tensioner and access plate for gearbox sprocket.

IMGP0349.jpg

The Electrix set up appears to be cheaper to fit due no machining required but setting the timing is easier on PVL as it can be done with chaincase removed, in fact the engine can be run with the chaincase off. But setting only needs to be done once then you can forget it.

Second picture is with PVL fitted.

IMGP0351.jpg

Good Luck.

• 2 months later...

G'day again

Thought I would let you know that I ordered an Electrex kit for the Cub I was building and it arrived in 4 days, great service.

I fitted it so easily I couldn't believe it was so simple.

Checked it all over and thought "its now or never" so I got a pair of boots on and got serious.

Second friggin' kick and it started and ran perfectly.

Can't remember who suggested the Electrex kit but my thanks go out to him, it works great.

Over and out

C ya

Twinshock

Hi Twinshock,

I fitted one of these to my Cub and it was so easy to fit and like you it started on first or second kick. I'm just wondering if you left the timing set in the middle of the slots as per instructions as you cannot really guarantee where the timing is. Mine is a side points model which should be the same as your 64 cub and I bolted a small timing disk to the end of the points shaft marking 8 degrees BTDC on it and then used a timing light to check it. Initially it showed up as way out even though the bike seemed to run well but when adjusted it was much improved.

Hope this may have been a help to you. :mellow:

Kenpi

Hi Kenpi

I actually fitted it to another Cub I was building which was a distributor model of around 1958 vintage and within a week of getting it going a guy had offered me a good price for the bike as it was at that stage so I sold it to him.

My own regular Cub is a 64 side points model with a BB system fitted and a square barrel of which there are only two competing in Australia at the moment. Incidentally do you realise that square barrels are legal Pre 65 items for Cubs although there is a lot of info that states they only became available in early 1965 there was a batch of 82 produced and fitted to French army Cubs in 1964 making them acceptable in Aus at least.

Thanks for your response

Cheers

Twinshock