Sealing Spokes

mudman

I tried the silicone sealant thing....NEVER again. Bloody mess next time around, and a "bandaid" fix at best. I'm with Dabster, clean rim, new rim strip and silicone grease. Slime may be fine too.

Edited by JTT

Reading it over I did not really spell out what I was trying to say, and Yup, as Kevin says, it can give you fits when it tries to half seal up the shraeder valve. Aggravating as all get out in the middle of a trials.

Let me go back,

Clean everything spotlessly clean.

Very carefully inspect the rim band,, if there is the slightest hitch in your mind, change the darn thing, you will think about it too much.

Follow the instructions on the RYP site, the two people when inserting the valve stem is good (if not great) advice. Take your time, lube the little spacer thingy with a touch of slime, make certain you have it all pulled into place prior to putting it into the rim, otherwise you can cut through the strip with the little spacer piece.

I get to the step where the valve stem is in and in place, then lube up the two edges of the rim where the strip sits, kind of like running a silicone bead along there with "slime", then slip the rim strip around the wheel.

Then I usually start cussing and making my fingers hurt. Seating the strip is one of those tasks that I just do not do my best at. Time consuming and aggravating is my version of it. Squish the strip back and forth, work it into the groove with a little plastic tool and your fingers, it just takes a while. As you get to the end, the excess slime will be squishing out the sides of the rim band, keep squishing it out so the rim band sits down well and is well (100%) seated.

Then wipe down the rim again and thouroughly inspect everything.

When I am done, hopefully there is no slime in the "tire" area, it is just between the inside of the rim strip and the outside.

It is somewhat gratifying to see the little bit of green slime come out around the nipples etc. as you air it up.

However you go about it, I wish you the best of luck.

Probably the second most frustrating thing to fool with beside rear brakes.

Hmmmm,,, Will talk with Ryan about making it a bit easier to find. Kind of a long route to get there, and it kind of throws me that it is under

"documentation"

http://www.shercousa.com/pdfs/rim_band_rep...ment_manual.pdf

There is a tremendous wealth of knowledge there at our fingertips provided by Sherco USA / RYP

You may pass on a note to Ryan / Wayne if you find that section helpful.

I know I look at it all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a flat on my new Sherco and guess what leaking spokes. On furthe investigation they have changed the valve washer and when I checked the rim band it was 100% ok. Pointed the airline at the valve washer and its getting UNDER that so will silicone seal around that.

Now where's that sikaflex...........

post-17-1107840611.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dead easy fix here, get a tin of TyreWeld or similar, you know the stuff for fixing punctures, well it fixes leaking spokes aswell. Fairly obvious really. Squirt it in, take bike for a spin down the street and its done.

Nigel Robson.

• 1 month later...