mudman

Hi,

Air has been leaking through where the spokes go into rim, have checked

spoke tension and used silicon over topof spokes inside rim, but air is still

leaking.

Has anyone had this problem and is there a better cure than the silicon

trick has this has not worked.

thanks in advance

Look at it this way the rim is leaking not the spokes. Need to make sure that the tape is exactly where it should be and then it will seal. Thats how they come from the factory. It can be a pain and I have spent many hours avoiding silicone, but not sure its worth it.

Best help is to go to rypusa and look at waynes tips explains it very well.

remove the rubber sealing ring.give every thing a good clean.then clean with contact cleaner.use plenty of the white rock oil water proof grease and replace the rubber ring.blow up the tyre and the grease is forced into the spoke nipples and is made air tight.this is what the top trials teams do and it works a treat.silicone is a waste of time.

Know what your saying about Silicon, but like I said the stuff I use go's off like rubber...good stuff.

Mail me your addess Dabster and I'll send you a tube, see what you think....it's got a 1000 and one uses

Edited by Marky G

Binned the tape on my SY250 and used 'sikaflex', we use it at work, goes off like rubber, no leaks any more :)

Last year, I had a slow puncture because of air leaking out of the spokes. I had tried siliconing the spokes twice without any success. I got a new rear wheel from JLI's and mentioned it to Gary who gave me the following advice: -

Fit the rim band and use 'sikaflex' to seal both sides of it to the wheel. It's main use is fitting windscreens in cars as it doesn't set really hard, it sets like a soft flexible rubber beading.

I did both wheels in 10 minutes and left them overnight to go 'off' before fitting the tyres.

Neither wheel has leaked since :)

can you give more onfo on this 'sikaflex'? The name may not be available here, but apparetnly its a windshield sealant for autos that might be similar product here.

I have used the green Slime product with good success. Works pretty well with tube type tires also. The down side on tubeless tires is that repairs are a terrible mess inside when the time comes.

also, be cautious about the stuff getting out of the valve stem. The tiny fibers in the slime product seem to make the valve stem leak later on, when you are letting out a bit of air the stuff blows back out into the stem seat.

kcj

Here it is, great stuff.......bit messy if you get it on your hands though :) it says it will adhere to: GLASS, STEEL, PVC, ZINC, FIBER CEMENT, ALUMINIUM,MARBLE, WOOD......the list goes on.

Mail me, I'll see what I can do :)

post-17-1105912740.jpg

Edited by Marky G