Scorpa Vs. Scorpa

windfall

Can anyone tell me the differences between the Rotax powered Easy's and the Yamaha powered SY's?

I'm referring to differences in handling, engine reactions, etc.

Do the SYs have the same basic "feel"? :)

I'm probably not making any sense :(

HI windfall..

Can't be of much direct help I'm afraid..but I would agree with R2W...probably a MASSIVE difference. My dads got a Rotax engine Aprilia Climber..which basically scares the life out of me. Engine seems VERY aggresive...and bike feels VERY heavy. COmparing that to the Rev3 that I ride...well...its like comparing the hunchback of NotreDame..and Naomi Campbell :)

COmparing that to the Rev3 that I ride...well...its like comparing the hunchback of NotreDame..and Naomi Campbell

Have you had a ride on both of those aswell Stu? :)

I've tried both versions of the Scorpa and other than the name I dont think there's anything the same. The differences are indicative of trials bike development over that period of time...compare say a Beta Techno to a Rev3 or a JTX270 to the latest Pro and they are all different to ride.

Martin

I knew this was gonna get confusing :P

What I was getting at was, things like steering geometry and weight bias.

For example, I've had and/or ridden several Kawasakis, a '72 175, mid 80's KDX, '86 Vulcan, '92 KX500, '94 KX250, '99 1500 Vulcan; They all had a "feel" that said Kawi, that was different from equivalent bikes from other manufacturers.

So, to me anyway, there are certain things that seem to say to me, "Honda" or "Kawasaki" or "Yamaha."

For me, Gas Gas has a tendency to feel unstable in the steering geometry, it wants to "tuck under" compared to my Scorpa or the Mont 315, also the mass seems very centralized, like a ball between your feet, and my Scorpa gives me better feedback as to what's happening at the wheels.

Am I making sense now? :wall:

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up my new '05 Scorpa. It is my fifth scorpa that I've had (2 easy's and 3 SY's).

There is no comparison between the Scorpa Easy and the SY. They are two different animals. Comparing the different year models of the SY's; they are all very similar with minor improvements each year. The 05 is definately this best yet.

It is always hard to feel the difference though. A fresh, new bike is always going to be different from a sagged out two season veteran. Maybe someone can donate another '05 Scorpa to my study. I'll store it in the back of the shop for two years and then fire it up to compare new and old. :angry:

Unfortunately, you are correct. The good news is that the Scorpa Easy is ancient trials technology. As great as they were then, pretty much anything now is far superior.

I'm not trying to start a war with the following comment: Some people say that Montesa is still working with the '90's technology because of minimal modifications since then.

There are people I ride with that we call "old school" and they won't leave their Rotax engines. Power delivery, suspension, and frame geometries have all change drastically since then for Scorpa. Certainly for the better.

It all depends on what you're used to.

Windfall,the scorpas with the yamaha engines are verry smooth and torquey,(old school ) but fitted in bang up to date chassis ,wich makes for a verry usable trials bike, i have had 3 in a row now,the last of wich is a fourstroke 125,i ride clubman rout and still have the odd win on the little one.if you dont plan on winning next years world champs,they are well up to the job,for that matter the old rotax engine one is still going to be cheap fun,but as i remember they were quite firery and a bit fragile in the engine department.

I could sell you one cheap but i think the freight charges would be a bit pricey,in the west country (uk)the scorpa is a verry popular mount,i think because of all the thick mud.plus they dont self destruct like the gassers.(sorry gas gas riders but you know what i mean)

Hey Windfall,

Check with Mike Komer at the "Tryals Shop". He is the North American importer for Scorpa. He would know of your closest dealer or may even know of someone in your area who has an SY you could try.

Mike has been in the Trials business since the early seventies and has a lot of contacts. He is always great to do business with:

(315)497-3268 or Mike@TryalsShop.com

Thanks, I've already talked to Mike, unfortunatly there aren't any dealers in Michigan. And, right now, there aren't any other Scorpas either.

For now, I'm thinking of getting a used '02 or '03 from the Tryals shop, their used bike sales conditions seem very reasonable. If my income tax returns turn out better than usual I may even get a new one :angry: