The Next Challenge

blocky

Striped the forks on my 240 today. Couldn't believe my eyes when I unscrewed the top caps and a spark plug socket popped out of each leg !!

Could someone please tell me how it SHOULD be. I have in top to bottom order...

Top cap

metal spacer about 50mm long

the spring

Im a little surprised that there is nothing between the spring and the spacer. Should there be ?

Also the brake side fork leg has 2 seals and the other side has only one. Is this correct ?

What is the mod to use only one seal ?

Thanks

Edited by Blocky

Get some WES springs or Checkout the Springs Classictrial.co.uk now offers . The stock springs have most likely lived out their useful life . There were a few versions of forks used on the 240's and all look about the same from the outside . some had long springs , some short , but to the best of my knowledge the single seal slider didn't appear until the 300 . The seal used in the sliders is different between the single and double seal model , This fellow lOlivier PAULI This friend have a very good knowledge of the 240pro. You can find him somewhere in the south-est of France. He's also a very good pilot : fantic240AThotmail.fr is supposed to be able to machine the early sliders to accept the different single seal ... But I just made up a aluminum spacer with a slightly larger ID and run one arriette seal per leg with the spacer on top of it and then the snap ring . Has worked without a problem for a few years now . As to the spring spacer ... I use pvc pipe with a flat washer between it and the spring , works a treat . Start about a 1 1/2 inches long (w/ WES springs ) and then you can adjust the preload to your liking Cheaply !

One of these days I'd like to check a set of these out too .... http://www.bytoto.com/hfs/ interesting concept !

Cheers :mellow:

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...