Carb Cleaning

gasgas694

This is my carb i thought i would have a bash at cleaning myself can someone tell me what to do?

I cant see any jets?

How often do u need to clean inside the carb?

is there 2 breather pipes coming off either side of the carb?

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

Giving the bike a clean BEFORE you removed the carb might have been a good idea? You'll very probably get more muck in it trying to refit it than was there in the first place!

It's all a learning curve, good on ya for giving it a go :banana2: but some hands on tuition might have saved you from a lot of work?

Looks reasonably clean (inside) going by your pics, a squirt of carb cleaner and a blow of air would probably suffice?

You've already removed a jet to get your float bowl off? - Have you done your homework? Getting help from someone who knows what they're doing is usually the best way to go first time round.

Please use a correct fitting screwdriver if you're going to remove the jets - they are quite soft and damage easily. Don't tighten them too hard either for the same reason.

Perhaps a bit late for washing the bike? Before you refit the carb, block the intake rubber with a cloth and hoover the worst of the dust away? Trying not to go into too much detail here, just keep going and let us know if you encounter any problems?

Have fun :wacko:

GJ :huh:

I would suggest before taking the carb to pieces that you clean the outside of the machine firstly. Second make sure you have a manual or pictures of the assembly of the said carb.

The jets are clearly shown in your 4th photo and the main jet has already been removed and on the table. They look like brass items if that helps.

How often are you ment to clean the carb?

and is that rigth that the two pipes either side of the carb is are breathers?

My thinking was to take the carb off and give the bike a good clean i should have really done it the other way round i know from now on.

Edited by gasgas694

I sometimes take my carb off then clean the bike, if you have ever used ipone gearbox oil the lid on one of those fits perfectly into the manifold and seals up when the jubilee clip tightens. Then you can get easier at all the nooks and crannys and not fill your airbox/filter/carb with mucky water.

As for how often i clean it, i usually clean it after every ride unless the conditions make it less necessary or if I'm just out next time for a practise :banana2:

I sometimes take my carb off then clean the bike, if you have ever used ipone gearbox oil the lid on one of those fits perfectly into the manifold and seals up when the jubilee clip tightens. Then you can get easier at all the nooks and crannys and not fill your airbox/filter/carb with mucky water. As for how often i clean it, i usually clean it after every ride unless the conditions make it less necessary or if I'm just out next time for a practise :banana2:

You clean your carb after evey ride.......or just the motorcycle?

I really think that your carb needs to be cleaned when you notice a problem.....or when doing annual maintenance. Use good clean fuel, avoid spraying a lot of water directly on the carb when washing the bike, and you should not have to clean the carb very often.

I sometimes take my carb off then clean the bike

I'd reccommend cleaning the bike and then take the carb off, you are a lot less

likely to run into problems later on.

Sometimes just cracking the floatbowl main jet bolt loose a little to let the fuel drain

will lead to less water and grit buildup in the bowl. Easily done (fuel into a drain pan,

cold engine and outside the garage) and only take a minute or so.

Jon

I suppose this is a personal thing? If you want to clean it after every ride then go for it. I'm with Jon on this one, a quick flush of the float bowl now and then usually suffices unless you've had a particularly bad day and drowned the bike in the river section? Keeping the air box and filter clean on a regular basis is probably more important?

The two tubes at the side are 'breathers' (won't get too technical here) and shouldn't be connected to anything.

GJ :banana2:

If you live anywhere near me ( Bury , Lanacshire ) I will gladly show you how to service a dellorto carb . I've got a sherco with the same carb and as anybody whos had a sherco will tell you , if it sees water , the carb has to be serviced !!

Regards

Phil

If you live anywhere near me ( Bury , Lanacshire ) I will gladly show you how to service a dellorto carb . I've got a sherco with the same carb and as anybody whos had a sherco will tell you , if it sees water , the carb has to be serviced !!

Regards

Phil

cheers mate but i am from middlesbrough bit to far, think i am doing am ok job i am going to put the bike back together tonight after cleaning it all hope it works :rolleyes:

Edited by gasgas694

I cleaned my bike fitted the carb all is well, the only thing is that it runs a bit smokey popping "pop" "pop" "pop" it use to run like this before i cleaned the carb is this normal or am i putting to much oil in with the petrol? it always seems smokey even when it has warmed up.

just like to say thanks to everyone for the help :rolleyes:

I cleaned my bike fitted the carb all is well, the only thing is that it runs a bit smokey popping "pop" "pop" "pop" it use to run like this before i cleaned the carb is this normal or am i putting to much oil in with the petrol? it always seems smokey even when it has warmed up.

just like to say thanks to everyone for the help :rolleyes:

What premix ratio are you running? Your pop-pop-pop may have a cause other than premix ratio.

Generally I like to clean the carb every 6 months or so just to make sure everything is o.k. I run another inline fuel filter that is cone shaped and used sintered bronze and it seems to catch the odd pieces of grit that the screens in the carb and petcock don't get. I also flush out my premix fuel can every few months. You'd be surprized at what collects at the bottom of oft-used fuel cans. Most of us have ones we've used for years and sediment will collect at the bottom, especially if you use pump fuel. I use straight race fuel in my Pro for reasons specific to my engine/exhaust system but one by-product is that race fuel usually does not have storage tank sedimant in it that pump fuel has.

Jon

What premix ratio are you running? Your pop-pop-pop may have a cause other than premix ratio.

Generally I like to clean the carb every 6 months or so just to make sure everything is o.k. I run another inline fuel filter that is cone shaped and used sintered bronze and it seems to catch the odd pieces of grit that the screens in the carb and petcock don't get. I also flush out my premix fuel can every few months. You'd be surprized at what collects at the bottom of oft-used fuel cans. Most of us have ones we've used for years and sediment will collect at the bottom, especially if you use pump fuel. I use straight race fuel in my Pro for reasons specific to my engine/exhaust system but one by-product is that race fuel usually does not have storage tank sedimant in it that pump fuel has.

Jon

i use 70:1 98 ron fuel, i might try another inline fuel filter.

Edited by gasgas694

i use 70:1 98 ron fuel, i might try another inline fuel filter.

70 or 80 to 1 is a little leaner than the factory recommendation but that's what I use and I don't know of anyone who has had a problem related to

that premix ratio.

The finer filtering inline units are a little more insurance from grit in the carb. The petcock and disc filters on the carb are fairly large pore.

The pilot jet often has an opening of less than .014"/.35mm so it doesn't take much to clog it up.

Jon