Twinshock Prices?

superhondaman

I have a theory re- the popularity and increase in some twinshock prices based on my own experiences of "growing up".

Back in the seventies I was in my teens and would work all the summer holidays in order to save up for a trials bike. The Spanish four were always available, 4th or 5th hand at a reasonable price and in order to get a newer bike, I always had to sell the current bike to add to the coffers to buy the next one. Buying a new bike was out of the question, so was hanging on to the old one, but always dreamed of the day I could do that and always looked on enviously at the guys with the new, latest bikes as they wheeled them out at trials.

Now 28yrs or so later and with a bit more disposable income, I still remember those days. As a way of holding onto that era, I recently bought and restored the 'then' bike of my dreams. I could never afford one back then, but now I can, and now I have one.

I think there are probably a few more 40 somethings out there who have done the same thing, so that the bikes of the seventies fetch higher prices, as the more sought after models get bought up, never to be sold on, not something that could be done when we were younger.

As each generation successively reaches this time of disposable income, so each generation of the bikes of their youth become desirable, perpetuating the recycling of the older bikes.

Right, off to fetch a tissue to wipe away a tear of nostalgia !

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a theory re- the popularity and increase in some twinshock prices based on my own experiences of "growing up".

Back in the seventies I was in my teens and would work all the summer holidays in order to save up for a trials bike. The Spanish four were always available, 4th or 5th hand at a reasonable price and in order to get a newer bike, I always had to sell the current bike to add to the coffers to buy the next one. Buying a new bike was out of the question, so was hanging on to the old one, but always dreamed of the day I could do that and always looked on enviously at the guys with the new, latest bikes as they wheeled them out at trials.

Now 28yrs or so later and with a bit more disposable income, I still remember those days. As a way of holding onto that era, I recently bought and restored the 'then' bike of my dreams. I could never afford one back then, but now I can, and now I have one.

I think there are probably a few more 40 somethings out there who have done the same thing, so that the bikes of the seventies fetch higher prices, as the more sought after models get bought up, never to be sold on, not something that could be done when we were younger.

As each generation successively reaches this time of disposable income, so each generation of the bikes of their youth become desirable, perpetuating the recycling of the older bikes.

jezza.

you did'nt say what bike of your dream's was. :icon_rendeer:

What was and is your dream bike then???

True words written...Jezza

I lusted after a Majesty in 79-82, but had to make do with a lowly TY175 which cost about

have to agree with all of the above! the bikes i always wanted i could never afford! :D

i started out with my step dads ossa mar (borrowed!) back in 81, the lads where i used to ride used to have majesty's , suzuki 's, and a lovely kt250 all of these bikes i lusted after during my youth! it took over twenty years until i could afford the above bikes of my dreams!

one by one i collected them up almost like a shopping list, some were total wrecks some were in top condition whatever i could find and what i could afford! theres two recent arrivels that took a lot of seaching out being a suzuki pe175 and yamaha it175 both 81 models and again two bikes i'd always wanted in my youth. like big john always said a gentleman can never have two many motorcycles! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Jordi, that exhaust is a bit trick.

Looks like the same bike pictured in the 2nd john hulme Twinshock book riden by steve monk?

Any one else seen these exhausts?

Yes it is the same bike, I owned it for approx 15 years until last summer when it was bought

by Steve Monk, yes its gone back to its first owner!

Would that be Pushrod Palmer John? think there is some pictures of him riding the Yam in the 86 worldround at Pately bridge.

Now what you need to complete the show John, is that sweet Fantic 200 I have, I'll box her up and ship it for thi at a sensible price.

• 1 year later...

Has any body else noticed twinshock prices creeping up. A Fantic 240 needing restoration went for 700 on the bay last night. There was a tidy one in the classifieds on here about 6 months ago for

Edited by bo drinker

After 2 years of crazy prices here in Spain, they are now coming down. Quite quickly in fact. Of course some of them, not all.

Speciall bikes will allways be expensive, the more special, rare, original the more expensive (Bultacos model 10 and 27, Yamaha Majesty, Hondas RTL, Montesa Cota Mk1 and Mk2....) there will allways be some models difficult to find and consequently expensive.

Hondas TLR are hundreds in the European market, and the really crazy prizes we have seen in Spain for a 250TLR (not less than 7,000 euros) or for a 200TLR (not less than 3,000 euros)are now fortunately a joke. Nobody will pay that money any more for those bikes, so obviously prices are coming down. Same happens with Fantics 240, here in Spain just one year ago you could not find one for less than 4,000 euros, and there where quite a number in the market for sale.

I agree with BJ; there are very few original Pre-65 bikes racing and Twinshock is the future. Just with more control in the Pre-72, Pre-77, or whatever Pre-categories is something easy to verify before a trial, and free in the Post-77 Twinshock (DellOrtos, Mikunis, Keihins....

Edited by Greeves