Twinshock Prices?

superhondaman

After 2 years of crazy prices here in Spain, they are now coming down. Quite quickly in fact. Of course some of them, not all.

Speciall bikes will allways be expensive, the more special, rare, original the more expensive (Bultacos model 10 and 27, Yamaha Majesty, Hondas RTL, Montesa Cota Mk1 and Mk2....) there will allways be some models difficult to find and consequently expensive.

Hondas TLR are hundreds in the European market, and the really crazy prizes we have seen in Spain for a 250TLR (not less than 7,000 euros) or for a 200TLR (not less than 3,000 euros)are now fortunately a joke. Nobody will pay that money any more for those bikes, so obviously prices are coming down. Same happens with Fantics 240, here in Spain just one year ago you could not find one for less than 4,000 euros, and there where quite a number in the market for sale.

I agree with BJ; there are very few original Pre-65 bikes racing and Twinshock is the future. Just with more control in the Pre-72, Pre-77, or whatever Pre-categories is something easy to verify before a trial, and free in the Post-77 Twinshock (DellOrtos, Mikunis, Keihins....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Greeves, does that mean my Mk1 247 Cota is worth rebuilding then ? Most people chuckle when I say I'm going to spend some cash on it,but get all excited when I mention building my spare Ty250 up as a Majesty.

Too many Majesties around - no early Cotas being ridden at all - do the Cota, be nice to see some Monts out there, I've a MK4b that I must get done sometime for the Miller series. Who cares what it's worth. Enjoying them is what counts.

Too many Majesties around - no early Cotas being ridden at all - do the Cota, be nice to see some Monts out there, I've a MK4b that I must get done sometime for the Miller series. Who cares what it's worth. Enjoying them is what counts.

Hey Woody

You can ride it in the miller series but its got to have flat tyres front and rear to give the rest of us a chance :thumbup:

Well thats two yes votes then,what do you reckon on originality - total,or do I do the lowered wide footrest,etc,etc?

If you're ok with standard footrest position I'd leave them but if you're not move them. Forget originality, that's fine for a museum piece but if your using it you have to be comfortable. If that means moving them so be it. I was ok with the footrest position on these bikes back in their day but 30 years on a knackered back, neck and wrists means I can't ride them like that any more. They get moved.

Hey Woody

You can ride it in the miller series but its got to have flat tyres front and rear to give the rest of us a chance :thumbup:

Well, given my luck and track record with punctures, that's probably just how it will be....

If you're ok with standard footrest position I'd leave them but if you're not move them. Forget originality, that's fine for a museum piece but if your using it you have to be comfortable. If that means moving them so be it. I was ok with the footrest position on these bikes back in their day but 30 years on a knackered back, neck and wrists means I can't ride them like that any more. They get moved.
I just have a bad back and a dodgy right knee,guess that goes for all of us who have "lived/worked" a little !

For the Mont I thought about doing the frame with ordinary white spray paint so I can mod the frame or repair it and have no problems in refinishing.I am undecided on moving the pegs,think I'll try it standard first.

Am I alone in not really liking the modern wide pegs ? My Ty was fitted with them when I bought it,but I've toyed with changing the actual rest to the old narrow type so my feet can pivot around them - maybe my ankles arent so flexible now.The modern boots not having an instep to locate your foot on the pegs dont help me either,my old Alpinestars were much better in this respect,the modern pegs and Sidi boots feel like I'm treading round on an 8x4 sheet of ply !