Sy250f 4-stroke Comments

gaffamont

Hi, have not been here for a while, bikeless at the moment and thinking about getting myself a 2008 4-stroke Scorpa 250, had a couple of Montesa 4RT's and a Beta Rev4 (preferred the 4RT to the Rev4, yet to try the Beta Evo 250/300), don't like the Sherco 3.2, may be a good bike, but not for me.

Would like to know people's opinion's on the Scorpa, cheers.

Regards GaffaMont.

I rode one for 10minutes (so not that well informed really) .... and thought it was a nice bike, good go up top end revs, hesitation at the bottom (could be air screw adjustment), a wide feeling and looking bike.

I went for the beta cos of the lovely engine and lower price.

What did you not like about sherco 320 ????

I've not had a ride on a scorpa so can't comment, but the evo 300 was a nice bike to ride if a little lacking in power compared to the 320 sherco..

The rev4 250 was a very soft bike to ride with good useable power..

Owned one for 12 months, great build quality and suspension........top dollar, the best and brill on rocks. Very good handling but lacked in power, very soft and when revved hard would go but you had to work it, with only a 5 speed box you only really had 3 section gears.

The WR engine is ultra reliable but if they break.........mega bucks!? as all 4t's.

All in all a good clubmans bike.

Do not get one without a side pump, pre 08 as once set up right it wouldnt cough/stall etc, typical 4 stroke problem with a carb.

But in the end we have gone back to Gassers.

Good Luck :D

Hi NZRalphy and jam, thanks for the tip's, and also, i am thinking on a 2-stroke Gasser.

Hi MIKEE, as i said, the Sherco "may be a good bike but not for me", i found the motor to be to buzzy and the rear suspension made it felt as though the rear tyre was pumped up too hard, that may just be me.

On the other extreme, i agree, the Rev4 has plenty of soft power, but too soft.

Yet to try a Evo 300.

To be totally honest with you all, if money was not an issue, i would buy a 2009/10 Montesa, but S/H prices (for a 2010) being around

Edited by GaffaMont

Well if money wasn't an issue i'd buy....... EVO 300, put on a TRP shock, put on an Arrow exhaust to save weight and a bit more go, and if it was still down on power (not likely really) then i'd get a factory cam :D)

Edited by NZRalphy

Well if money wasn't an issue i'd buy....... EVO 300, put on a TRP shock, put on an Arrow exhaust to save weight and a bit more go, and if it was still down on power (not likely really) then i'd get a factory cam :D)

With an arrow exhaust on, it will never be down on power, There awesome, You'd be suprised in actually how big a difference they make.

GaffaMont, I'd definatly go for the Evo 300, they are a real superb excellent 4T machine.

I have had an evo 300 4T for 18 months and I can't understand the lack of power comments?

The damn thing will pull your arms off if you wind it on and I have been up some of the steepest and biggest climbs without any fuss - so much so that it was outdoing 250 2T who were full on using fourth gear. It has more power / torque than any clubman could EVER use.

I have had an evo 300 4T for 18 months and I can't understand the lack of power comments?

The damn thing will pull your arms off if you wind it on and I have been up some of the steepest and biggest climbs without any fuss - so much so that it was outdoing 250 2T who were full on using fourth gear. It has more power / torque than any clubman could EVER use.

You're 100% right with that, the evo does far from not lack in power. I wouldn't say that it 'pulls your arms off' but they do shift, the power curve is controllable.

Unlike the sherco 320, which I find is like a jackhammer to ride, when I had a go on an 08 version the viberation was horrific it was a horrible bike to ride, But the evo 300's with the aftermarket arrow exhausts on really do shift & will rip your arms off, But there an awesome bike. I know yesterday I was doing some big climbs on my 290 & so was my dad on his 300 4T & mine was spinning all the way & the 4T was just gripping for fun, I think the evo 4t's are fantastic & are a lot better on the big climbs. Just the shear grunt of them makes you want one.

Edited by GasGasben

Hi, have not been here for a while, bikeless at the moment and thinking about getting myself a 2008 4-stroke Scorpa 250, had a couple of Montesa 4RT's and a Beta Rev4 (preferred the 4RT to the Rev4, yet to try the Beta Evo 250/300), don't like the Sherco 3.2, may be a good bike, but not for me.

Would like to know people's opinion's on the Scorpa, cheers.

Regards GaffaMont.

Having had many (7) Scorpa in a row (new one each year) my last was a 2007 SY250F. So, you can easily say I was a fan of Scorpa for a good long while. Broke the cycle when I went to the 2008 Beta Rev-4T that I am on now. As far as "opinion's" go, I have to say that the Beta is a superior bike, in every way, except the rear suspension. I know that the fuel pump change, on the 2008 Scorpa made a big difference, but still not in the ballpark with the Beta engine. The tall, top heavy, 5-valve, Yamaha engine is just not going to feel like the shorter, lighter, Beta or Montesa engine.