Big Dent In Ti Pipe

mikee

We have these guys here in the US http://www.piperepair.com/ They do a great job, and to me ask a fair price for what they do (I've seen their work and it really is as good as they claim). You might want to email them and see if they either know of someone in the UK that does similar work or, perhaps the shipping wouldn't be as much as you'd think.

do NOT try this!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Now thats a challenge :hyper:

Sorry gents but based on my "Flame Throwing" experience with my silencer (Cope knows :lol: ) if I can get use of an Oxy I'm game for this method :hl: ....unless anyone in Aus can tell me who does this kind of thing around Sydney/Central Coast???

Just working on the plugs now!

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

Air is compressible so if the pipe splits it explodes. People can be killed this way. Copey, you use compressed water. Plug the ends, fill pipe with water and pump in compressed water. The hydraulic pressure will force out the weakest point (the dent). I don't think this method will work with welded section or Ti pipes.

Neo, I'm sure there's somebody in NSW but you can send it it to Geoff Morris of GMC in Perth (I think). He's highly recommended by the VMX guys.

P.S. filling the pipe with water and heating it is as dangerous as using compressed air. Heat+water=steam=BANG!

Edited by TooFastTim

Air is compressible so if the pipe splits it explodes. People can be killed this way. Copey, you use compressed water. Plug the ends, fill pipe with water and pump in compressed water. The hydraulic pressure will force out the weakest point (the dent). I don't think this method will work with welded section or Ti pipes.

Neo, I'm sure there's somebody in NSW but you can send it it to Geoff Morris of GMC in Perth (I think). He's highly recommended by the VMX guys.

P.S. filling the pipe with water and heating it is as dangerous as using compressed air. Heat+water=steam=BANG!

Tim, there is no such thing as compressed water! Water does not compress!

Neo, DO NOT TRY the exploding boiler(blunderbus) method! I was only joking! Really!

Now back to Tim's theory, even if you injected water under pressure, what pressure would you use? If you use air over water, the end result would be the same as air only, as the pressure is still equal.

To do this(cold)one would require a hydrolic pump to force the fluid in under pressure. Something will give(weakest point)and likely to be the end plugs blowing out before the pipe gives.

Sharp edge creases and dents are unlikely to be effected as well, as the edge actually reinforces the area.

[quote name='TooFastTim' timestamp='1286153889' post='248666'

Geoff Morris is in Victoria Neo & having seen some of his work I'd contact him to see if he's interested in having a look

Mikee, have you tried contacting someone who deals with road racers? Not sure if they repair pipes or just replace them though but it's worth a try

Edited by tony27

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Just been reading through this post, If you are having problems getting titanium welded can I suggest you try your local airport, I have had stuff repaired and even fabricated from scratch at a local aircraft workshop, working with titanium, stainless and alluminium are every-day materials for them. good luck with the repair.

Frank