Water In The Air Box

gasgasblue

put a good quality mudflap on your front mudguard for starter,s.then fit the gas gas uk supplied plastic flap below the radiator.gas gas uk are selling a better under the tank/air box rubber flap.i was recently speaking to their ace mechanic kev hipwell at the test day they did in wales who told me about this.give gas gas uk a ring and ask to speak to andy,kev,s brother who works in the spares department.i have orderd one of the new flaps which i hope i will recieve this week.i also put some tape between the tank and seat,and also tape around the airbox cover after it has been fitted.

On my 03 Pro I took the airbox lid off, put a bead of Loctite silicone around the airbox seal, coated the lid with silicone grease where it touches the seal and replaced the lid. Hasn't leaked since.

Also, the teat was missing from the drain hole in my airbox so I glued a rubber flap (made from a piece of inner tube) over the hole, seems to let water out but not in.

A great substance to use for sealing up crap airboxes is Bonded Car windscreen compound ! ( From a motor factors ) Black stuff that sets as hard rubber.

I'll get a brand name off the tube in the shed !

If you get it on your bike where you dont want it use carb cleaner remove it before it goes off !

Dont use it to seal the lid on the air box though ! You'll never get it off again !

If you use silicone sealant, when you spill fuel or spray WD or Carb cleaner on or near it, it will perish and go like jelly thus loosing the seal.

Its also good for sealing the rubber cable gromet on the flywheel.

• 2 weeks later...