Coolant Weep Hole

bee

This is letting you know your coolant is passing through the outer water pump seal. If your gearbox oil starts to emulsify (turn milky) then the inner seal has gone as well.

In a nutshell - you need new water pump seals ! Check the impellor shaft for damage while you're doing the job as this may have been the cause of the seal failure?

GJ :wall:

Kinda what I was thinking. I've had the bike for a couple years and just started riding it this year, and the fella I bought it from didn't ride it much. Could be from sitting around for so long. Sherco's website has a great parts manual that shows 2 seals. I've never changed these in a bike before--is it a bugger of a job?

I'm riding tomorrow so maybe I could jam a small screw in the hole with some permatex tonight............yeah, that'll work!

post-5107-1285381553.jpg

Simple enough job if you're handy with the spanners and reasonably achievable if you're not? Just dismantle as per the image, carefully remove the old seals and carefully fit the new ones - simples ;)

You're 'block the hole with a screw bodge' will work for a while but keep an eye on that gearbox oil (and of course your coolant level)! Once the outer seal has failed the coolant pressure may cause the inner seal to fail as well?

GJ :wall:

if its a 01 sherco it has only got one seal in it .i would fit a shaft as well,the shaft is a bit pricey but if you dont it wont last to long.

Not being picky about your post but......

The diagram above is from the 2001 Sherco parts book and clearly shows 2 seals (part No: 1.24)? If there was only one seal then the 'tell tale' weep hole wouldn't be there? Would you change you're crank just because the crank seals are passing? If there's no visible damage to the shaft (pitting, scores etc) then a new seal should suffice? Nobody wants to spend more than they need to do they?

GJ :wacko:

it does look like 2 seals in the diagram, but I'm having a hard time with it. Looks like a seal on each side of the case, but I've never been in there before. If I have time tomorrow, I'll rip it open and have a look, and let you know how it goes.

Had a blast today. Brought plenty of fluid with me and it seems to be leaking abour 16oz. of afreeze per tank. I can almost live with that!

It's not a big job to replace the seals, the seals do go in from each side.

The reason that you may have to replace the shaft is that the seals can wear grooves into the shaft where they run

Download the manual pinned above & you'll see just how easy a job it is

As stated, check the pumpshaft for heavy grooves on the seal riding area and replace the shaft if the grooves cannot be polished out with crocus cloth.

Note that the seals oppose each other(hard side)in the case orientation, each sealing in it's own fluid and a gap between as the weep hole is located, which inhibits fluid transfer between the two. Set them correctly!

You'd be crazy to carry on riding the bike with this problem....blocked hole or not!!

All the ones I've done have had scores on the impeller shaft so I'd budget for a new one if I were you....sorry! :blush:

Best of oil and water balance.

Neo

I probably won't have time to crack into this for a couple days, but I'll let you know what I find. 1 seal or 2, and the condition of the shaft.

I'm gonna email right now and find out how long to get parts.

~B