Rekluse clutch on 05 Beta 200

fergzx9r

Ello all :D

I realise that im going to come under fire for this but......................

I want to fit a rekluse clutch to my trials bike - 05 Beta 200 :wacko:

So, what engine is in this bike? The guy at Rekluse said that if i can tell him what engine it is he will tell me if he has one to fit! Do Beta make there own engines?

As this will seem like such a messed up idea to "real" trials riders i shall try to explain my thinking for what its worth :icon_salut:

I dont ride competativly, i ride either my 250 KTM EXC ( with rekluse and left hand rear brake ) or my wee beta. We just go out into the woods / hills and have a laugh. My enjoyment of off road riding has doubled since i fitted my rekluse to the point where i no longer ride the trials bike.

I have been riding for over 20 years so there is no point in telling me to persevere with the clutch, i just love the rekluse and PLEASE remember, im not competing with anyone , its just about having FUN and that at the end of the day is what bikes are all about!!

So..................my options are this

1. sell the trials bike and forget it ( not good )

2. fit a rekluse to the beta if possible

3. sell the beta and buy another brand which CAN have a rekluse fitted to it.

Many thsnks to anyone who can help :thumbup:

Iain

Lets hope Beta read this and do something about thier trials bike clitches; they work but for 4.5K a pop not very satisfactory. I guess the design is ok but you have to have every little element of it set up just so (check out the bike specific forums). I,ve boufght 4 new Betas in the last 2 years and none of them has had a better clutch than my old greeves (villiers)had all those years ago. Having said that they are nice to ride compared to what is available, they were the cheapest and above all the service from John Lampkin is second to none in the uk.

So, what engine is in this bike? The guy at Rekluse said that if i can tell him what engine it is he will tell me if he has one to fit! Do Beta make there own engines?

Yes. Beta make their own engines, so you will not cross it to some other bike, or brand, in this case.

So the rekluse guy wants to know what engine is in a 2005 beta rev3 200?

I would say its a 2005 Beta rev3 200.

Mmmmmmmmm intelligent response :thumbup:

You will find that not many gearboxes or engines out there are made by the manufacturer for chainsaws, mowers, cars, planes anything really. If you dig deep enough you will usually find that huge companys like kawasaki etc will actually make parts and stamp the name on em for the company. Bit like asda or m&s beans made by heinz with cheaper or more expensive ingredients but made in the same factory. Cant remeber which one but one of the big trials bike manufacturers uses the old Yamaha YZ engine blah blah blah.

Anyway, these are all well kept sercrets and unless you have been around the Beta factory and actually seen them produce the engine and gearbox from scratch you can bet your ass that anyone from Hyundi to bloody John Deer will be supplying a lot of if not all of the bits.

Oh and the Rekluse Guys name is Iain as mentioned on post - ignoramus :moon:

So, does anyone know if its possible to fit a rekluse clutch to any trials bike?

Thanks for the response in general :D

Cheers

Iain

I don't remember seeing a link to a direct fit part number but you might want to have a look at these two threads, one from here at trials central http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/30498-rev-3-clutch-plate/page__p__236600__hl__clutch+plates__fromsearch__1#entry236600, and one from a forum here in the States called Thumpertalk http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-775961.html . From experiance in the past, many of the manufactures use common dimension clutch plates and I'd bet that one of the builders like EFM or Revloc would be able to work something up for you. Perhaps you could speak with them on the phone and then send them the dimensions (or maybe a spare plate) for them to cross-match.

Joe

Only one of these I have ever seen fitted to trials iron was on a Scorps/ Yam 4t 125 or 175. Maybe not a bad deal if you one wanted one like this with long range seat and stuff. Include the dandly beer holder on the left bar end! Though I found it a bit scarey!

They may well make one for the 250 4t motor !!!!!

Seriously though, what does the rekluse clutch allow you to do?, i know they're fairly popular with some enduro/trail riders but what are the advantages over a standard set-up?

Not sure you want to call it an advantage, but the difference is that you have no clutch lever. The bike becomes like a kids bike, with a centrifical clutch. Turn the throttle, and it goes. Close the throttle, and it quits pulling. Neat thing is that the now vacant location, where the clutch lever was, can be used to control the rear brake. Front brake on the right, rear brake on the left.

I recently rode a KTM woods bike with a Rekluse fitted to it. Very interesting experience. Loved the rear brake under my left hand. Down side was that while in 1st gear, turning tight, the transition on and off the clutch was pretty violent. On the other hand, you could put it in 2nd or 3rd, and it would still pull from a dead stop. Interesting for a trail bike, but I could not see one on a trials bike, used in competition.

With all that said, to the original posters question, you could get a Scorpa trials bike, that uses the Yamaha 4-stroke engine (125 or 250), and likely find that the Rekluse clutch. made for the original Yamaha application, would work. No mechanical difference in that area, when it comes to Scorpa's use of the engine. The longride kit, with the bigger tank and seat, would make it ideal.