Getting started what to look for in a bike.....

benspray

A warm welcome to the sport.

I myself ride a 315r and would suggest it is a good starting point. Having an engine based on a cr250 it is not going to be too difficult to get your head round. Being a Honda it is among the most reliable but not your only option. No mater what you decide on plenty of people will love it and some hate it. In your price band a gas gas or worse a beta would have to be carefully inspected and preferably come from a club member where you will ride. I think this is the best way to be looking at bikes.if you can find on a scorpa 200 four stroke is also worthy of consideration

I am drawn to the idea of Honda build/reliabilty of the Montesa 315r (as I currently have a 1998 Xr250r and that things been as reliable as ever)

The 315R is an excellent bike for "build/reliability", as you have rightly concluded. It's ride, and engine, characteristics are great for the beginning trials rider, as well. With that said, I concure with the other poster, on the little Scorpa. I had an SY175F for about 18 months, and found it to be a great bike. Either would be excellent for a rider starting out.

A warm welcome to the sport.

I myself ride a 315r and would suggest it is a good starting point. Having an engine based on a cr250 it is not going to be too difficult to get your head round. Being a Honda it is among the most reliable but not your only option. No mater what you decide on plenty of people will love it and some hate it. In your price band a gas gas or worse a beta would have to be carefully inspected and preferably come from a club member where you will ride. I think this is the best way to be looking at bikes.if you can find on a scorpa 200 four stroke is also worthy of consideration

Gas Gas may have the lightest wieght in the line up of trials bikes but they are basically made of cheese, Beta however is very reliable and don't brake as much as the gasser.

Beta has a very nice handling aspect which makes it a great performer as opposed to the montesa but the montesa is very very reliable and I havn't heard of many problems with any of them 2t or 4t.

My 2001 rev 3 is very competitive even with the likes of the 2007 sherco's and gassers,

and my riding friends 1999 montesa is competitive with the likes of a 2005 sherco for example, although my Beta has far superior handling. If it was me buying an 8 year old bike I would go for the Beta for its handling or the Montesa for its reliability but definatly not a gasser of any sort.

Cheers Brad.

p.s. there may be a lot of people that get up me for saying the gassers aren't that great but when ever I ride past one of any age I see it at a trailer getting fixed or on the trailer ready to go home at lunch time because something has broken, so thats my opinion lol.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, Im going to start finding some bikes to view soon just need to get some cash together.

I was planning on going to a local trial last weekend but had an issue with the car so couldnt get there in time, next one near me isnt for another 2 months so may have to look around and see if anything is going on a bit further away... :)

Certainly seems that I should knock gas gas off the list anyway, but I'll have a look at the others mentioned :)

Theres a few Montesas on ebay that I'm watching at the moment to see what they go for, I may even try to get to have a look at one of them and see how it feels.

edit - wherry just seen your reply while I was typing (I'm not that slow at typing but Im at work so keep getting distracted :) cheers, I ended up taking the car to the garage today as although I got it up and running again last weekend it still wasnt right so hopefully I'll be able to make the one near Diss on the 8th, at least that way I'll get to see the different bikes without driving all over the country looking at ebay/classified ones (depending on who brings what of course :)

edit 2! - Just had teh call from the garage to say they have found the issue and the car will be ready for 4pm :)

ps - I dragged my old mountain bike out of the shed a couple of weeks ago to have a go at balancing - Lets just say I'm hoping a proper trials bike is easier to balance than that was as I really didnt get on too well......

Cheers all

Ben

i was in your shoes a year ago! i bought a 315r as it seemed the best built at the time, its got a nice soft power delivery, is very reliable and with new plastics still looks the part!! go ahead and get a 315r it wont dissapoint, oh and that age you would get your money back if you sell it!

need to convince my wife that this is a good idea still though :)

How to convince a wife that trials is a good idea:

Step one. Leave lot's of motocross magazines around the house

Step two. Suprise! her by taking her to a local motocross "just 'cause it looks fun"

Step three. Work your way around to the biggest jump on the track and comment about how "cool that is" :shutup:

Step four. Make some subtle comments about how you could "do that jump with your eyes closed" :wacko:

Step five. Introduce her to the local sixteen year old pro and let him tell her how "gnarly the track is"

Step six. Take her to a trials

Step seven. Pick out your new trials bike (bet she helps you load it up) :thumbup:

Saturday was a good day if a little confusing for the first time - Im guessing you dont have to do the sections in order as there seemed to be people doing the later sections then coming back to the earlier ones etc - I guess with that many bikes its the only way to do it in a sensible time though, and there seemed to be some of the better riders going back round and riding the easy routes as well - guessing it was more of a practice day?

I am a little worried that Im going to be laughed off the course the first time I show up though! there seemed to be all levels of riders there though....

In other news all being well I'm going to pick up a 2001 315r with the later brakes and forks etc at the weekend... :) Current plan is to drain the fuel out and bring it back in the boot of my car (mk3 mondeo hatch so a fair amount of space) may need to remove the forks but should be doable?? Either that or hire a van....

Then I need to get a towbar and trailer/rack sorted out but I plan to get some practice in round the garden first, practice my balancing and general control - I have a flat private road down the back of the garden where I can get used to the bike (plus side is I ride my xr250 standing up 90% of the time so needing to stand shouldnt be an issue), and once Im a bit more used to the bike I have a fairly steeply banked garden with lots of steps and grassy slopes - depending on how loud the 315 is I should get away with a few laps round the garden as long as it doesnt tear the grass up....

Cheers all

Ben

All sounds good. The trial was a proper competition, but only a fairly easy-going club one so if people were changing routes that might explain that. It varies from club to club but often you start at the section number of the 2nd digit of your riding number so if you're number 18 you'll start at section 8. Sometimes all the Novices are sent off to section 1, Intermediates to section 5 etc. They usually tell you at the start briefing where to go.

You'll just need some Allen keys, and maybe an adjustable spanner and the forks will drop out of the yokes. Taking the master cylinder off the bars will make it all easier to deal with of course.

Put December 5th in your diary as your first trial. It's the last round of Norwich Vikings Beginners & Wobblers series at Lyng, West of Norwich. As the name suggests there are routes for Beginners, Novices and Intermediates. The Beginners route on the 5th will be a fair bit easier than the White (easy) route on Sunday, to give you an idea. We've got several Beginners that have started this year so you won't be alone!

Norwich Vikings

Hey Ben - I was in your shoes this time last year and "Wherry" was a fantastic help to me and really got me started. :icon_salut: Have had some great fun on the Beginners & Wobblers trials and would thoroughly recommend it. All being well i will be there on the 5th, and would be very happy to meet up and go round with you. PM me if you'd like to meet up.

If you havnt sorted any transport yet i can recommend the Dave Cooper racks. you will find loads on teh forum. they are very good.

Good luck :thumbup:

Caddabs

Cheers guys,

I spoke to the seller last night, he has all the tools there and has no issues with taking the bike apart with me to get it in the car so thats a plus, the bike has had recent bearings and fork seals etc and the tyres are fairly new as well so I should be all set, hopefully will turn out to be a good deal for