Newbie, Which Bike to start?

squidwheelies

Hey everybody! I'm a semi-pro Sportbike Freestyle rider who's looking for a new chalenge! I've been intrigued by Trials for years, and I want to buy my first Trials bike. I have really good throttle and brake control compared to most novice trials riders due to my experience with Sportbike Freestyle and I'm wondering which bike I should start on.

There's a 1993 Gas Gas GT12 and a 1992 Gas Gas GT32 for sale somewhat close by. They're both priced at $1200 (thought I'm sure I can talk them down.) Which one would be a better starter bike for someone such as myself? I'm not a big guy (5'10", 180lbs) but like I said I think I would take to this pretty quickly due to my experience. What do you think?

Also, here's a pic of what I do if you're not familiar wiht sportbike freestyle.

LTMiniature1copy.jpg

go to your local trial event and talk to the riders, most will let you have ago on there bikes, try as many as possible then you can make your own mind up 92,93 bikes will have had a hard time so try and get something newer

You can find plenty of quality modern bikes in the 2K range. They will have as u suspected, better everything. You will also be able to get parts easier and sell it easier if you dont happen to like it. I agree - trying a few bikes is ideal - there all good, but you will most likely find that you have a definate preference.

I'm waiting to hear back from the bank, but it should go through and i should be the proud owner of a trials bike! Has anyone ever put a hand brake on one of these? i.e. a rear brake lever as well as a clutch lever on the left side of the bars? Thats what we do in sportbike freestyle to control the rear brake when we're not on the pegs.

In trials if your feet aren't on the pegs, you are usually stuffed!

The 290 would be a good choice for the age of the bike - 2006. It has a fair bit of grunt.

I think they are reliable though the back damper can get a bit wooden.

When new that bike would have had narrower bars with a cross brace.

In trials if your feet aren't on the pegs, you are usually stuffed!

The 290 would be a good choice for the age of the bike - 2006. It has a fair bit of grunt.

I think they are reliable though the back damper can get a bit wooden.

When new that bike would have had narrower bars with a cross brace.

The newer style fatbars are so much better, I doubt they are "wider" than stock/new they look like the trials bend. most all new bikes come with fatbars. they flex a lot more than crossbar types of old.

FWIW, you really should find the club closest to you, you will find bikes forsale near you to compare prices, not that the nice sherco you found isnt a good dealio.

To find clubs nearest you, goto http://www.natctrials.org Click on Club Directory button, many (not all) clubs have a forsale section, helps you see what people think bikes are worth, for comparison, plus there are importer pages, and dealer pages.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for all of the help! I'm going to pick the bike up wednesday and I've already been studying online at TrialsTrainingCenter.com. I want to learn the basics and then go a more non traditional route with it. I'm absolutely enamored by the riding that Julien Dupont does. I can't wait to pick up my new bike!