Engine conversion for Cota 348

belldane

Hello people. I am after some ideas here for an engine conversion for a Cota 348. I bought the old Cota as a donor bike for the other 348 I have and after a few years I have pilfered so many parts from it (mainly motor parts) that it would be virtually impossible to put the Monty motor back in. Apart from the motor, the rest of the bike is still intact and it seems a shame to have under the house doing nothing. I was thinking of a 4 stroke, 250cc size. Has anyone seen or heard of such a conversion? Any help or leads much appreciated. Thanks

I have looked at my spare 348 frame for a while with a similar idea, but the problem with the 348 frame is that it relies on the bolt-on braces from swingarm pivot to the head, and the brace from the head to the frame, to provide triangulation for the main frame loop.

Depending on the shape of the proposed motor going in, it may be possible to fit braces that will provide triangulation.

Putting a common Jap 4 stroke engine in would be tricky as the chain is on the wrong side. Maybe one of the European manufacturers like Moto Guzzi or Ducati would do perhaps - they had drive on the right hand side. I presume you've seen the SWM chassis' with the Guzzi Stornello engines in them - Nice Guzzi SWMs - something like that would be pretty good I'd have thought. Failing that a Beta or Rotax 2 stroke engine, if you could find one, of course have drive on the right side too.

Can't speak for the 348, but here is a posting, from the Twinshock area, showing a 4-stroke in a Cota 247 frame.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/29727-kawasaki-4stroke/

Super nice work, and he was able to swap the chain, from right to left, to accomodate the Japanese engine. If you got the skills, it can be done.

Edited by DGShannon

Can't speak for the 348, but here is a posting, from the Twinshock area, showing a 4-stroke in a Cota 247 frame.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/29727-kawasaki-4stroke/

Super nice work, and he was able to swap the chain, from right to left, to accomodate the Japanese engine. If you got the skills, it can be done.

Oh yes. I'd forgotten about that one - very nice. I suppose with something like a TY or KT, or something similar, back wheel in the Montesa frame it would be reasonably straight forward to get drive on the left and still have a decent direct-pull rear brake.