EVO 250 Swingarm

smallboy

That is basically what I heard. The '09 had tremendous failure rates for frame and some early swingarm. I have not heard of problems with the '10. The '10 frame has additional gussets and I believe the heat treating for the swing arm was improved. On the early Rev3s there was an issue where the swing arms were snapping at the junction of the cast piece at the front of the swingarm and the extrusions that make up the arms. Something to do with improper heat treating to relieve the stress caused by welding two dissimilar pieces together. What I also heard is that the Evo frame is not made by Verlicci as the Rev3 frame was so it seems Beta ran into the usual teething problems with the '09 Evo. Just in general keep an eye on any area where different pieces are welded together. One thing to note with an aluminum frame is cracks may appear in the anodized oxide on the surface. Though these can look disturbing they will not propagate through to the underlying metal. Of course that leads to the question of how can you tell a real crack early in its development and it's difficult without some very expensive equipment.

• 2 weeks later...