Cut Out Switch.

philswiv

Hi folks, I'm sick of having to stall my '97 Techno to shut it up. I'm wanting to fit a lanyard switch so I don't have to do this and to cut the ignition when I have one of my "close encouters with the earth". I don't want to go butchering the wiring willy-nilly so, which wires/wire do I have to cut into?

Cheers.

Edited by PhilSwiv

Hi,

I had the same problem on my rev3, I phoned up the UK importer John Lampkin - www.thetrialcompany.com, and they were very helpful and told me what colour the wire was and where abouts to earth it. I know it probably won't be the same but the stop wire on rev3's is black and it comes out of the engine on the right hand side when stood on the bike and goes with a load of other wires up the inside of the frame. As for earthing it the best thing to do is to earth it on the earth bolt on the coil.

You can probably get more info if you phone up the trial company (01535 655970) and ask for Chris.

Round here everyone reckons that Yammaha YZ stop buttons are the best to go for, I picked up an apico one from my local trials dealer for only 3 quid.

Hope this helps

Edited by bob

I just fitted a 'dead man's kill switch' :D to my Yam TYZ - they are the type that sidecar riders and speedway use - if you part company with the bike it kills the engine (coz it's attached to your wrist / wherever). Figured sooner or later I was gunna end up rolling down a hill with the bike stuck at the top, throttle pinned open :ph34r: .

Anyway - easy job > follow the old wires to their bullet connectors, unconnect old, and attach new. If bike won't start put the wires in the other way round (only 2 wires). Bit tricky on a cramped for space trials bike, but being methodical & patience will get you there

hth

Thanks for that guys. Motopat, the only trouble with your suggestion is that there are no old wires to copy from. This bike has just been stalled all it's life to stop it! Bob, I'll have a look for the afore-mentioned wires tomorrow. cheers fellas :ph34r:

Yeah that is what I did,

but be careful if you connect up the wrong wires it could get expensive very quickly! Hopefully you should be able to find a wire then try phoning up John Lampkin like I said, even if you didn't get the bike from them they seem to know everything there is t know about Beta's and they hopefully will be able to tell you if the wire you have got is the right one and they will be able to give you tips on how to get switch to earth best.

Do you not find that with a trials bike it is abit annoying to be connected to the bike every time you have to get off to have a look at a section?

haven't done any trials yet - just messing about on a mates farmland, so am a virgin as such :wall:

It's not a prob at all though - you just clip it to your sleeve or (what I do) loop it around your wrist. Simply unhook from yourself when you want to leave your bike > but why you'd want to leave it running while looking at a section is a mystery to me :wall: . Or just park the bike up and get off / walk away and the engine will be killed. B)

Like I said though, I'd rather this than have the engine wide open for any amount of time and not be able to cut it out quickly.

I thinks it's a good idea :wall:

What I meant was that just the annoyange of having to untie yourself every time, but if you pull it out then that aint a problem. I prefer the button and have not yet fallen off and let it revving do I am gonna stick with it. i will probably end up following your suggestion when I have found out for myself the consequences!

Good luck with fitting your stop button though phil.

If you can pull the cap off the throttle and unhook the cable that will stop the bike reving out,

I was on with trying to fit a kehin carb when mine jammed open, we tried to take the spark plug cap off, tried the kill switch both of which failed,

Its supprising how fast you can unclip the cable when you bike's screaming its tits off.

Hope this helps if anyone gets into situation like that.

G.RASP

Bob, I use the RIP CORD on my 04 Rev3 and I know others that do the same. Very good idea, cause sometimes you just cant get your fingers on the clutch fast enough. I mounted the type they use on Wave Runners, Jet Skies, works really good. Just wrap around the wrist, ride to the section, pop off the bike (kills), alk the section, pick the right line of course, and get on the scooter and have a go at it. Be sure an mount on the throttle (right side). If ya crash or bugger it up, then Bobs your uncle and no worrys.... good post... :wall:

If you are unlucky enough to have a motor jammed, totally flat out, at full throttle, then hitting the kill switch sometimes will not do a thing to stop it!

Wonder if anyone has any bright ideas, as to how to stop it running in that sort of situation?

the speedway style 'dead man's kill switch' I tried to describe above should kill the engine as in theory it should continuously interupt the spark - as it comes away with the rider there is no requirement to hold down a kill switch. (had crossers before where you'd have to hold down the kill switch until the engine had stopped turning over so know what ya mean). The only dissadvantage I could see with a dead man's kill switch would be if some dirt of something lodged in place of the button witch comes away with the rider iyswim - but I guess the likelyhood of this would be minimal.

hth

Does the dead mans kill switch earth the spark plug like an ordinary switch or does it cut the connection completely? Because at high revs the voltage is so high that when earthed there is still enough energy to jump the gap on the plug, this means that it keeps firing and the only way of stopping it is shutting off the throttle or disconnecting the spark plug. You may have a kill switch which disconnects it but it is unlikely as as far as I know kill switches are an earth.

Where does the dead mans kill switch connect to?