TY175 Cracked Casing

ivorybull

Hi

I was getting on great restoring my 1978 Ty175 when today I kicked it over and the kick start spun round and cracked the engine case.

I had kicked it over a few times over the last week since I got it going and it was OK but the kick start would fail to reset occasionally.

So I have a couple of questions

Firstly, why did this happen?

Secondly, how easy is it to weld the cracked case?

Thanks Iain

This problem was so common with TY's that my local shop use to have an exchange service for the damaged casing. From what i remember it's ok to weld. I've got a restored TY myself now and I'm very carefull kicking it over as my cases are polished and crack free. I've even set the kickstart back a few turns on the splines so that it doiesn't jolt forward. This does however lessen your kicking arc but it's beter than a cracked casing.

Welding (actually heliarcing) the cases is simple for a good welder. You will have to split the cases again and clean them very good. Oh, it will show, you can't grind or polish it out.

Look a some of the work the welder has done on aluminum before you let him do your cases.

Alan

Before you get the case welded, fix the return stop mechanism or it will do it again. The stop device is on the kickstart shaft and the usual failure mode is that it slips (rotates on the shaft). You can fix it by getting a new kickstart shaft.

The weld repair can be made smooth on the outside and can be poilshed but may still remain visible due to the colour of the weld metal being slightly different to the parent metal.

Does anyone know if the crank case cover on a DT125 the same as the TY175? They look very similar.

Yes the old dt125/175 cover will fit and I think there is another one.. the yz125 which should fit but they are very hard to come by in the UK.

Yes the old dt125/175 cover will fit and I think there is another one.. the yz125 which should fit but they are very hard to come by in the UK.

Yz 125 from 1976 will fit,that is the only yZ year that will fitt,have a look on my 175.

Chrs:Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the DT 125 crankcase cover and tried it today. It looks identical but does not fit!!!!

The holes are in slightly different places, some line up but a couple don't.

Back to the search for another case......

Only 1976 will fitt YZ or DT,doesent matter.

Chrs:Mike

• 4 weeks later...

• 9 months later...

Hi Rich

Yes mine looked just like that. It was in really good condition and worth the money. I could not see any difference between the old one an the new one apart from the colour as they come painted black.

I never resolved my kick start issues and due to having too many other projects sold it on to someone else. The only area I would check on the crank case cover is the distance between the crank case and the cover internal flange where the kickstart goes. I'm 99.9% certain it was identical but just worth checking as this could cause an issue.

Regards

Iain

Hi Iain

I have the same problem and have ordered one from Independent Cycles (hasn't arrived yet). Looks like the same one.

Was yours the same as this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380322375332?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Chrs Rich