Verbal abuse

bdmc

You are Clerk of Course and is running a combined youth and adult trial. There are 12 sections to be ridden 4 times. The youth and adults all start at section 1.

After approx. 90mins the secretary of the trial is approached by a rider under 16 in tears in fact he is terrified. After settling the young rider down the rider complains that he has been verbally abused by an adult rider. The secretary has directed the rider to you to deal with. Further questioning discovers there are no witness

It would be hard to take serious action against the accused as there were no witnesses, unless he admitted to it. In which case sounds like a ban to me.

My experience suggests that sometimes you have to take what kids say with a pinch of salt though. It is hard when you see a child upset, but you can't always take things at face value.

Find the adult rider and calmly ask him what had happened, there are always two versions of the same story.

I would also recommend that you locate the youth riders parent or guardian as sson as possible and inform them of the conversation with their child.

What ever the outcome, it is worth making a factual written note of what was said.

Can you give any more details of what happened and what the outcome was? Without mentioning names or places.

Firstly the age of the Youth is relevant as He/She should be accompanied. Most B and A class riders I know can give as good as they get and still have somebody at the trial as a "responsible" Adult. Secondly If they had not approached their "responsible" Adult first get that Adult and get them to talk to the child. They "know" the child and will find out what the problem is and "how" they have been terrified. You then have the facts from their side. I would also approach the Observer/s at the section/s involved and get their view if they have one. Then Approach the rider and get their side of the story. In some cases they may have acted to prevent an accident or in defence if they thought they were going to be hit by the child. Finally you have to have other evidence. Adults can be intimidating to children and most adults don't like getting involved with other peoples children these days. At the end of the day the child should have had an Adult present if they are under 16 and they should be at the trial and they should bring it to your attention.

If it had been my kid, the hardest job for the clerk of the course would be removing the renthals from around the offenders neck and the ohlins from where the sun don't shine. :ph34r:

Ever if it transpired your child was in the wrong ?

Everyone has given thier thoughts on what I should. Some of you have added things that may or could have happened. Some of you have even added things that did not happen. No one has given an actual official process to follow.

No one has given an actual official process to follow.

Because there was no third party to verify what happened, I think if you record what you know about the situation in the event report and what you did or didn't find out before those involved left the event site, maybe a written statement off the parties involved may help yourself and the ACU if it goes further.

I don't know of an official process for this situation, but if I needed to I would contact the ACU not ask on a public forum.

If the child had been abused to the state this one had (and kids riding motorbikes are generally more robust than most) yes

Kids will be kids. An adult abusing a child is always wrong.

The only reason I mentioned it was I caused a child (13-14yr old) to burst into tears by giving him a 5 !

Do you only insert new handle bars and shocks, if so, it might be worth it :moon:

Surely there is no need to contact the ACU over this. If the child had been physically abused then yes I would see the need to contact them. At the end of the day it was probably a petty little arguement that the child took to heart and got upset about. I supose you could always take note of both names of people involved and make sure that it doesnt happen again. If it was to occur again then maybe take it further.