sherco 290

thunderslug123

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The banjo filter was a bit dirty when i cleaned carb but didnt have too much crap in it but i cleaned it all out. I took off fuel valve,it was quite stiff to turn valve,this normal?? i stripped it and cleaned it and blew it out.there was some crap came out of it so hopefully that could be problem,it started up and ran fine but didnt take bike out as it was dark so i`ll post tomorrow when i try it out,thanks again!!

i'm no expert on this at all, but i had a problem with mine which was traced to a perished "o" ring on the idle screw which was letting air in. maybe shove a bit of grease on it, see if that helps.(if it does, then you can replace it) what size jets are you running? maybe a kink in the fuel breather pipe too?

good luck !!

Caddabs

That would lead to the bike running lean which has the opposite symptoms to those described.

Managed to get bike out to try it and its still the same,I stripped carb off again,took all the jets out,blew them out etc..the jet sizes are 30 and 126..I greased idle screw again incase of leak there and fuel valve is fine,, The one thing i noticed is when i took out the choke lever on carb to clean the lever with the spring on it that goes up and down when choke is pulled/released isnt straight,it has a bend on it so i straightened it as much as i could without fear of snapping it,Still wasnt right after trying bike again..Think the choke lever could be problem??????? thanks

Managed to get bike out to try it and its still the same,I stripped carb off again,took all the jets out,blew them out etc..the jet sizes are 30 and 126..I greased idle screw again incase of leak there and fuel valve is fine,, The one thing i noticed is when i took out the choke lever on carb to clean the lever with the spring on it that goes up and down when choke is pulled/released isnt straight,it has a bend on it so i straightened it as much as i could without fear of snapping it,Still wasnt right after trying bike again..Think the choke lever could be problem??????? thanks

Well, a potential problem there on the choke shaft! You should actually be able to feel the piston on the choke lever bottom out fully in it's bore to insure it is closing fully.

As for the jetting, it seems off to me as well. Although it varies a bit due to different fuels, it seeme to me you should probably need to be in the 35-36 range on the pilot, and in the 115-118 range on the main. This large 126 main will not let things clean out properly and may me a bit lumpy throughout the mid!

Mind you, all this barring any other problems.

Edited by copemech

I think your problem may be related to a lack of fuel delivery. If you have a inline fuel filter you might want to replace it or test it by temporarily installing a fuel hose with no inline filter.

Edited by Liviob

Well, a potential problem there on the choke shaft! You should actually be able to feel the piston on the choke lever bottom out fully in it's bore to insure it is closing fully.

As for the jetting, it seems off to me as well. Although it varies a bit due to different fuels, it seeme to me you should probably need to be in the 35-36 range on the pilot, and in the 115-118 range on the main. This large 126 main will not let things clean out properly and may me a bit lumpy throughout the mid!

Mind you, all this barring any other problems.

hi there,thanks for reply,i have sorted the choke lever now but as you say i think i`ll order some different jets and see what happens,I`ve been running bike on 15ml to a litre of fuel so 5 litre/75ml of 2 stroke,it has`nt been fouling the plug,do you think that is an ok mix???

I think your problem may be related to a lack of fuel delivery. If you have a inline fuel filter you might want to replace it or test it by temporarily installing a fuel hose with no inline filter.

it does feel like that,I`ve had the fuel filter off since i`ve been working on it and trying out the bike,its getting good fuel from fuel tap and through hose,,Its becoming a mystery!!! thanks for reply!

I run mine on a 33 pilot. Cant remember the main at the moment.

Good luck !

im goin to order some different jets,im tempted to try my gas gas 250 carb on it as its the same carb but i dont know if this would work with it being the 250,might be wrong but is`nt the shercos a 272cc anyway. thanks a lot!!