2011 evo 290 gearing

betarick

Managed to get out today for a play on bike after all the s--t weather!i have noticed that 2nd gear feels like im in 3rd gear and 1st just seems to slow its like i need a gear in the middle of these! on my old 06 250rev3 i used 2nd for just about anything. anyone noticed this or played around with sprocket sizes?

Hi,

Give yourself a bit more time with it, you might like it after a while, I have a 2010 Evo 290, using the standard gearing & to be fair I find it just right for me,It will be different with the Rev3 as you say, But If you can't adapt to it, Give a smaller sprocket a go on the front or a bigger one on the back,

Has all the snow gone over yorkshire now?

I should give it a bit longer as its only 3rd time out on it! it just seems that in 2nd im just doing stuff to fast and not in control. And if i try to go slow in 2nd it feels like its going stall! and yep snow as nearly all gone here.

Hi

I've got a 2010 evo and I Had the same problem as yourself.I've put a 13 tooth sprocket on the front and that has made 1st useable for everything a clubman would need.if you give this a bash you will need a longer chain as the standard chain won't stretch!cheers

Edited by sherco pete

The problem is i never used 1st gear on my rev3 found it too low. Now i have a new bike its taking alot to get my head round using it and finding 2nd too high and i only use it for blasts uphill. More Bike time needed i think to get used to it. Anyway loving that smooth 290 power delivery and not even tryed flicking the magic switch over yet. :beer:

This has always been a sore spot with Beta. First gear has always been useless to me. The quick fix is a smaller counter shaft sprocket. I had a 92 world round bike that had a 1 tooth larger rear spocket that just did not quite fix the issue. I love Beta ,but the gassers have the best 1st gear of any bike.