good or bad

afk40

Guys,, Im off tae look at a 290 sherco which is a good looker commin fae the owner.. is it a GOOD or a BAD bike mechanical wise an in a TRIALS bike.. whta do i need to look out fur, its an 03, any further than this would help me loads. cheers. an Happy new year.. john

check front end fork seals

rear shock and linkage for wear

tyres

disc for wear

brakes

clutch

chain sprockets

plastics

airbox

exhaust

listen to it run, check for any rattles top-bottom end check tick over its the noral stuff really remember its a trials bike so will have a few marks etc.

check foot rest for bad wear might need to be changed all the best Des....

Hi,

I would ask normal questions on how long they have had the bike, how its been used and what has been done to it during the ownership.

Although is down to trust whether you believe the answers you can get a feel for the seller.

I bought an 02 bike and while it was ridable i did have to replace a fair few wear parts to be happy with it although the engine has been completly sound. I did have to replace, wheel bearings, headset bearings, chain and sprockets, chain tensioner, rubber chain runner over swingarm, fork seals, fuel lines, rear tyre (perished, not wear), air filter, exhaust seals and all fluids. Plus i had to replace a few damaged fasteners and go over the whole bike inc stripdown/clean of carb . Items like the chain runner are easy things to overlook but they become a factor with an older bike.

If the bike you are looking at has worn/hooked sprockets you can guess the bearings seals ands fluids maybe past best as they are items that are often ignored more than obvious parts.

A very tidy little used bike can be worse than a well used and maintained bike as my bike was the former and is now bit more care worn but totally solid on maintenance.

As long as the wheels are straight, the motor is solid and the forks surfaces are dent free its up to you on the asking price and what parts you are prepared to throw at it. . .

Just my 2ps worth :)

Happy New Year

Guys,, Im off tae look at a 290 sherco which is a good looker commin fae the owner.. is it a GOOD or a BAD bike mechanical wise an in a TRIALS bike.. whta do i need to look out fur, its an 03, any further than this would help me loads. cheers. an Happy new year.. john

The 290 can be a fire breathing monster very sharp to the unwary, stopped my old man riding modern bikes, till I got him on a silky smooth Beta. Check for any softening mods, slow throttle, flywheel weights, gearing that sort of stuff.

Unless you are an experienced trials rider It's not one I suggest, 250 would be better

Good to see you've given up on a 4 stroke scorpa, however a 290 sherco isn't the best bike to get if you're a beginner.

Maybe this isn't what you want to hear but if you search the forum postings the same bikes always get recommended for learning on, i.e Montesa 315 (250cc), Scorpa 250 (2 stroke), Beta rev3 250, or any 200cc 2 stroke if you can get one.

I have a sherco 2.9 and its a great bike, but i really wouldnt recommend it to a beginner.

nothing wrong with a 290 there are plenty ways to calm it down ,not like some moderm bikes.i know more beginner/novices on 290s than 250s in scotland.check all obvious parts on the bike and check engine. early ones upto 05 were prone for noisey main bearings. price if very tidy worth

T shock.. I havent given up on the 4 stroke scorpa,,, I have had 5 hrs today on the sherco, am quite knackered the now,, ma elbows shoulders an wrists, not been on a trials bike fur at least 3 years,, but i enjoyed it,, id liek to try a few other ones before commiting maself,, the bike in particular is a grand, an it looks like new, I dont think its had a hrad life at all an never trialed unless the owner has renewed everything,, the engine is still tight an smooth. i need tae have a go on a few different ones, preferably smaller cc to see the difference,,,, had to feather the clutch a lot, but not unduly bothered me too much, i like the bike, an want tae spend ma money wisley,, the bike i think, is well worth the money. but i need to try the scorpa before i make up ma mind,, its a scorpa sy175.. today i was only trundling around,, tried a few sectional hills, never made it, but desperate tae try the scorpa,, an see wit its like compared tae the 290. will report back soon....... would a montesa 4rt be more suitable fur me,, or are they handfuls ? I want to trundle around, maybe do clubmen trials, at best,, am 615" an 20 stone, but reletavly fit.. a have a wee bit o a belly but not bad, na height covers that... but wantin tae lose weight also.. am 52 yrs old,,so my chances of world series is a NO GO... i want tae throw it in ma bvan an go tae europe an do the high hills... what ye think...... me

Sounds as though you got on fairly well with it then. The little Scorpa will get you around, but it will feel like a slug by comparison now.

At 20 stone,you may like nothing smaller than 250, and the 2.9 is really 272cc. Sounds like a clean bike with good price.

Well I bought the scorpa sy175F, a few days ago, its a good goer, but need rear wheel bearings replaced and rear brake bled as its not working, ive had second thoughts onit,, wish id have just went an bit the bullet wi the sherco, but as the sayin goes ye snooze ye looze... but alls not lost i have it on ebay an the classifieds here.. so maybe get it away an get the sherco.. I will buy the sherco, if i sell this...or should i say WHEN i sell this I dont think al be long, as it is a rare bike, with a wee bit o maintenence thru at it an maybe a few quid,, this will be one good bike,, it is powerful enough, but I didnt have it in any sections.. but the bumf ave heard about them is all good......... so see whit happens, i dont know what i can say here or not abouts selling it, as a dont want tae get into trouble an get banned. but as a said its on ebay, an if a dont give te link to it,,surley i havent broke any rules.....cheers Guys.watch this space...sherco is shouting