Scorpa sy250fr - a good 4-stroke trial?

luct4

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly, there's the matter of electric start for one thing.

That is true - and one thing the T-ride has in it's favour of course...

What I'm looking to create is an uber-stripped-down (but still street legal, in the UK at least) machine - say with a pair of Solstice LED headlights (for night excursions x) and a simple brake/tail light on the rear...

I have considered the T-ride, new Beta Alp (with removable bodywork) and even a Rieju Tango (don't laugh, it could work!), together with the even more rare Yamaha Tricker and even the Kawasaki Super Sherpa (which I love, but is heavy in comparison)...

But all of those trailie bikes while street legal and comfortable on the road, would need a lot of work to reduce weight, and bulk, and would never ride in the same way? which is why I was considering a long-ride style trials bike, but with a bigger tank...

Perhaps I just need to bite the bullet and keep an eye on ebay...?!

Jx

Having owned a scorpa 250f and ridden the ssdt on one, I would say It could make a reasonable trail bike but you will have to mod it. The issue with the carb being close to the front pipe is not a problem, you can remove the heat sheild that normally ends up touching the carb and wrap the pipe with exhaust wrap and wirelock it on never had an issue with that.

What i did have problems with was the heat from the back box melting everything in that area, this only happened because of the road work on the ssdt never had a problem until then, bolted on top of the exhaust is a plastic mounting plate which the rear mudguard is mounted too, the bolts holding it on get really hot and end up being pulling through the plate and the mudguard ends up flapping around and will constantly spank your ass over rough ground!!!! (this may be right up your street :blink::blink: ) this will then end up wrecking the mudguard. The airbox also runs next to the exhaust which is made from plastic and can deform the top cap where the filter goes.

Also the excess heat ruined the exhaust its self as it is soft ally, not the best for a 4t that runs a lot hotter than a 2t, it basically peeled open with the movement from the guard and the mounting lugs where it mounts to the frame have a tendancy to snap, had to have mine welded a few times.

other than that it was ok.

Thanks Kamiture - so I presume this means the bike can suffer fueling evaporation problems if the carb gets too hot from the exhaust?

I thought the stator would be the same, so like you say, with the right reg rec there ought to be plenty of juice to run a pair of vision-x LED lights or similar...

Thank you for the info!

Jx

I had a SY20F for two years, I also have a TRide.

There is a simple solution to the hot exhaust pipe issue wrap the exhaust pipe under the carb with a good quality exhaust wrap & paint with High Silicone Paint. I used DEi. Had the same wrap on there for the two years mud, water, pressure cleaning & all. I do the same on the TRide. Never had an issue.

Big issue I see with the SY250f is oil capacity & cooling the Tride has that sussed with an external oil tank on the level of the sump. It would be easy to do on the SY250F if necessary.

Cheers

LOONAL

Edited by Loonal

Having owned a scorpa 250f and ridden the ssdt on one, I would say It could make a reasonable trail bike but you will have to mod it. The issue with the carb being close to the front pipe is not a problem, you can remove the heat sheild that normally ends up touching the carb and wrap the pipe with exhaust wrap and wirelock it on never had an issue with that.

What i did have problems with was the heat from the back box melting everything in that area, this only happened because of the road work on the ssdt never had a problem until then, bolted on top of the exhaust is a plastic mounting plate which the rear mudguard is mounted too, the bolts holding it on get really hot and end up being pulling through the plate and the mudguard ends up flapping around and will constantly spank your ass over rough ground!!!! (this may be right up your street :blink::blink: ) this will then end up wrecking the mudguard. The airbox also runs next to the exhaust which is made from plastic and can deform the top cap where the filter goes.

Also the excess heat ruined the exhaust its self as it is soft ally, not the best for a 4t that runs a lot hotter than a 2t, it basically peeled open with the movement from the guard and the mounting lugs where it mounts to the frame have a tendancy to snap, had to have mine welded a few times.

other than that it was ok.

Thanks Spikey - that was the sort of info I was after - I guess it was never designed for longer road sections, and like you say, the limitations of packaging means you get those sort of problems...

I guess an earlier TY-S might be a better bet, with a long ride kit or a custom tank as I was thinking? What I'm after is a bike with Trials geometry and size/handling, but that could be ridden at 50mph between trails...

I'll keep looking at options!

Jx

I had a SY20F for two years, I also have a TRide.

There is a simple solution to the hot exhaust pipe issue wrap the exhaust pipe under the carb with a good quality exhaust wrap & paint with High Silicone Paint. I used DEi. Had the same wrap on there for the two years mud, water, pressure cleaning & all. I do the same on the TRide. Never had an issue.

Big issue I see with the SY250f is oil capacity & cooling the Tride has that sussed with an external oil tank on the level of the sump. It would be easy to do on the SY250F if necessary.

Cheers

LOONAL

Thanks Loonal!

I love the idea of that WR250 engine (I have a WR450F already) in basically a trials chassis, but as you and Spikey suggest, I guess the packaging is the issue - especially for prolonged use? As you say, perhaps the T-ride is a better option (especially with a e-start), and perhaps try and lower the seat/tank with something more trialsy for additional clearance...

Hmmmmmm..

Jx

Edited by JMo

What I'm after is a bike with Trials geometry and size/handling, but that could be ridden at 50mph between trails...jx

My Gas Gas Pampera is the closest thing that I know of (but I have a T-Ride on order).

Edited by motovita

My Gas Gas Pampera is the closest thing that I know of (but I have a T-Ride on order).

If you don't mind what kind of price range did you get quoted on the T-Ride?

I just bought a used Super Sherpa to ride 'cause I just got tired of the bigazz 640LC4 in the woods.

One lap around my tiny backyard before the inclement weather set in convinced me that I've made the right D/S choice,may take some work to fit a trials tire to the rear,but that's not really important for how I'm gonna use it.

If you don't mind what kind of price range did you get quoted on the T-Ride?

I just bought a used Super Sherpa to ride 'cause I just got tired of the bigazz 640LC4 in the woods.

One lap around my tiny backyard before the inclement weather set in convinced me that I've made the right D/S choice,may take some work to fit a trials tire to the rear,but that's not really important for how I'm gonna use it.

Attached you will find a brochure of the all new 2011 Scorpa T-Ride. Finally you can get the most agile off road Hybrid dirt bike available. This is available through pre orders only. Retail is $8100.00. They are imported as off road only and available for sale in all states except for California . Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing a T-Ride. We will place the order with the factory January 1st and have the bikes ocean freighted to Kentucky and have available for delivery in February to all customers that preorder a T-Ride. We will require a non refundable deposit of $500.00 to secure your T-Ride.

Thank you,

Ryan Young

www.rypusa.com

www.shercousa.com

www.scorpausa.com

6327 Midland Industrial Drive

Shelbyville KY 40065

502-647-5220 phone

502-647-5467 fax

ryan@rypusa.com

Thanks,I may call him and see if I can run down and see one when they get the shipment in,He stated in his forum when I asked about them that he was attempting to get them exempted so they can be registered,here in Indiana we can get a ORV registration and the local counties around where I live allow you to ride on the county roads. I can easily wait until his next shipment as I have no desire to make time payments on toys anymore.

Attached you will find a brochure of the all new 2011 Scorpa T-Ride. Finally you can get the most agile off road Hybrid dirt bike available. This is available through pre orders only. Retail is $8100.00. They are imported as off road only and available for sale in all states except for California . Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing a T-Ride. We will place the order with the factory January 1st and have the bikes ocean freighted to Kentucky and have available for delivery in February to all customers that preorder a T-Ride. We will require a non refundable deposit of $500.00 to secure your T-Ride.

Thank you,

Ryan Young

www.rypusa.com

www.shercousa.com

www.scorpausa.com

6327 Midland Industrial Drive

Shelbyville KY 40065

502-647-5220 phone

502-647-5467 fax

ryan@rypusa.com

I love the Sherpa!

I took one on the Rubicon last year, and also to Moab for a week - surprisingly good and agile for a 'trail' bike I thought, and properly street legal of course (except in CA)... If I was to buy a bike and keep it in the US, the Super Sherpa would certainly be on my list... I'm just looking for something slightly sharper and more focused...

IMGP2797.jpg

IMGP2871.jpg

IMGP2732.jpg

IMGP2924.jpg

DSC00914_2.jpg

Jx

Edited by JMo

I love the Sherpa!

I took one on the Rubicon last year, and also to Moab for a week - surprisingly good and agile for a 'trail' bike I thought, and properly street legal of course (except in CA)... If I was to buy a bike and keep it in the US, the Super Sherpa would certainly be on my list... I'm just looking for something slightly sharper and more focused...

Jx

Great pics,That's the way I want to use the Sherpa,I'll do a few mods to trialsize it a bit more(move footpegs,trials handlebars) and just putter around like the Grandpa I have become,I get my competition jollies from trials now,My KTM 380 EXC days are behind me,But I'm having more fun riding now than ever!

Great pics,That's the way I want to use the Sherpa,I'll do a few mods to trialsize it a bit more(move footpegs,trials handlebars) and just putter around like the Grandpa I have become,I get my competition jollies from trials now,My KTM 380 EXC days are behind me,But I'm having more fun riding now than ever!

You would probably like my TTR230 dualsport.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Hl1P6mKnnrQ2nojrQE-K6YH6CIqhHEUF84GXDk5i-hQ?feat=directlink

• 6 months later...