Crash Helmets

blocky

Looking through some of the pics on some clubs websites i'm amazed and horrified how many people compete without wearling a crash helmet.

I can understand to a certain degree why you might want to do it on an old bike but this is shere loonacy!!

I have no idea who this bloke is but here's a typical example...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.... Can see both sides of it, but I'm on the side of wearing a helmet. I had a bad fall as a kid (shut it Kinell). I looped a TY80 at a Middlesbrough trial at Woodhouse farm. Bounced down the hill and the bike bounced down on top of me just about wrecking my helmet. Suspected fractured skull which turned out to be concussion and bruising, but the big white AGV helmet saved my bonce.

It's the riders choice as far as his own safety is concerned, but I do believe we should make every attempt to put the insurers minds at ease, otherwise we may not have any insurers left (I know this doesn't include private practicing, but if anybody outside of the sport sees me I like to put over how responsible the sport is). However I wouldn't dream of putting my helmet on for pottering round the back garden.

My old man was well renowned for his flat cap, but I cringe now, when I look at the bashes on my helmet, that could have been my head.

When I started losing my hair it was amazing how many head injuries I got through rugby, I'm determined not to get any more from trials.

A friend was practising full lock turns on his trials bike in his front garden and managed to crack his skull on a garden bed edge rock. He fell off at less than walking speed. He recovered OK eventually. You guessed it - no helmet.

I have hit my head so hard on rocks landing from a riding fall that my ears were ringing for half an hour and my 1 month old composite fibre helmet was written off due to the depth of the scratches. Does anyone think I could possibly be able to write this posting today if I had been riding that day without a helmet?

I don't buy high quality helmets because the insurance company gives us a lower premium, it's just a practical way to control a high risk situation.

I will say that it is your right to ride at home or by yourself without a helmet.

It is not a good idea as I almost found out last Sunday. I was riding around in front of the house, with out my helmet or my handy. The ditches were full and very slick after it rained. I kept riding a little further and a little further. I was around the turn down the road about a half a mile away when one of the front disk bolts came out and stopped the wheel dead. I had been riding pretty fast just half a minute before and would have gone over the bars had it happened then. I couldn't twist the bolt in or out. I finally had to get the bike up on the back wheel and balance it all the way home.

My point is that being stupid on your own time just affects you and possibly your family.

When you are at a competition what you do can affect others. You should wear your helmet at a competition if for no other reason than it makes a good impression on the kids and lessens the liability of the land owner and event promoter or club.

Ciao

DFW

After starting this thread I feel I have to reply to some of the comments.

I fully agree with r2w in so far as it should be through personal choice but I also firmly believe that to not wear one in competition is crazy. I also think that clubs should enforce a rule to make the wearing of helmets compulsory during competition. Adults have a responsibility to set an example. It was difficult enough getting my 13 year old son to wear a helmet and seeing these pics does nothing to make that easier.

As I understand it, hospitals will charge for any treatment bought about by the non wearing of helmets and as to it only being you who suffers this is far from true. I'm sure most of you have family of some sort who would have to live with the results of your decision. Infact I would go so far as to say that it's very selfish of you not to wear one.

I also think that it does nothing for the way the sport is presented to the public.

To my mind its just common sense to try to minimize the dangers involved in this sport.

Sorry if this sounds like me spouting off. I'm not really honest but it is interesting to see peoples views on the subject. It would also be interesting to see how location influences peoples choice. ie... its pretty soft going around most of the south.

Incidently, i'm taking my son to the Steve Saunders trainning day this Saturday and he is insisting that everyone riding MUST wear helmets and boots.

All "though shalt wear a helmet" rules are controversial - ie someone telling you to look after your self and thus people legitimately moan bout it

HOWEVER its is the 21st century and we live in a sue everyone and everything for anything culture

Hence you would really be in trouble to explain to a judge how you (the club / promoter) were fulfilling your

Over here in northern ireland, any of the ulster and Irish championship trials demand the wearing of an ACU approved helmet.

Personally I agree with this.

Even though the vast majority of trials riders are stand up sorts who will take responsilbilty for their own actions, there are always ( more and more often nowadays) 'broken kerb hunters', A new breed of people who see no reason why they should take take responsibility for anybody's actions, least of all their own.

This has long been a personal hate of mine and whether it is cause or effect I don't know, but it is a growing factor in our societies legislation and that really pi**es me off!!! :wall::wall:

Anyway, back on topic before I really get started...

If one of these lazy claim hungry b******ds enters a trial where there is no helmet requirement and he falls and hits his least used part (head), they'll sue the club because obviously they weren't to know that motorcycle sport was potentially dangerous. And obviously they can't be expected to take precautions for their own safety. That nasty nasty club should have helped them make their mind up to stay safe. Can't possibly be their fault now can it??? :D:wall::hl:B)

Club gets sued = can't get insurance = fewer events.....

God I hate litigation.

By the way, this was not aimed at people with genuine, life affecting cases for compensation, merely at the leeches......

Guest Ady Witting

Hey Neonsurge how are you doing today

Did you get my messages on Are old any good.

good arn't they hey

my best mate whre abouts in North Yorkshire do u live i live in Sunny Scunny

although its sunny scunny but its raining today whats the wheather like there hey.

Right on, SocialClimber. An unfortunate consequence of the litigious society in which we live is liability insurance. The ACU/AMCA and their affiliated clubs are ultimately responsible for the actions (and consequences thereof) of riders competing in events they they have organised and they simply can't afford to not take all reasonable precautions to minimise the risk of legal action by some doufus who cracked his head open because he/she wasn't wearing a helmet. As SC and others have pointed out, this contradicts the apparently unfashionable concept of common sense which states that each person is directly and ultimately responsible for their own actions. This, along with political correctness are two of the world's greatest evils, IMHO.

That said, I never ride without a helmet. Not because the ACU or whoever tells me I have to, simply because I have a family to look after. Fundamentally I couldn't give a rat's ass whether other people wear them or not, but I appreciate the possible repurcussions for the organising club if they don't.

What a load of selfish macho rubbish! Safety is not a matter of personal choice. All of you suggesting it is, stop and think about all of the people that would be affected if you had a serious head injury, and believe me they would happen if helmets weren't mandatory.

There's the poor sod who has to carry out first aid, the emergency services that would have to scrape you up off a fell side,club officials etc, and thats without counting family and friends, who might be a bit put out:

Get real. helmets are essential and should never be optional

Steve

r2wtrials, I guess I must concede , you're right 'artificial intelligence (or any intelligence for that matter) is no match for natural stupidity!!

Ps I do take part in dangerous pastimes ( including motor bikes) and have even eaten Mc Donalds on occassions, Its just that I like the odds on my side