Crash Helmets

blocky

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each to there own, but I must admit I always wear a helmet when riding.....I can see where Stevel is coming from, it is the folk who are around you and that have to deal with it that it could disturb the most.

I would imagine in the 70's not many folk were trying to get up 10ft rock steps were they?

Let them ride without lids, but first sign a disclaimer saying they don't want any first aid when they crack there head open. :wall:

I'll always wear a helmet whether i'm competing or not. Never used to when i was on the monty/mountain bike until i woke up dazed in a field, knocked myself out after trying to jump a wall!

I agree its entirley personal choice when out practising, but no helmet, no ride in trials.

Whilst riding in competitions I seem to quite oftain knock my helmet on low branches etc. If I did this with out a helmet it could be quite serious. Is it that If I did not wear a helmet I would take more care or is it I can just not judge were the top of the helmet actually is, and do not duck down enough?

On a somber note, about 20+ years ago my girlfriend's(at that time)16 year old brother was practicing low speed turns on a farm track. It was the summer so the track was packed hard and very dry. The bottom line was he fell of in a very low speed full lock turn, hit his head cracking his skull. He never regained consiousness and died in hospital about a week later. We will never know but I believe if he had been wearing a helmet he would have got up with only hurt pride. I have always felt bad about this as It was me who introduced him to the sport. I will not ride a bike without a helmet.

It is a bit like the old seat belt debate, it took a change in the law to get most people to see sence and start wearing one. And my day job by the way is I am a automotive seat designer and witness crash tests on a very regular basis. When I see cars travelling with people not wearing seat belts in particular children I get very wound up. I feel the same way when I see sombody on a bike without a helmet.

Am I turning into my father?

Stuart

Guest gasgastxtpro

I never used to wear a helmet on my mountainbike, actually i still dont but thats because im a fool, i hardly ride it anyway.

Ay year or so back, i was riding a friends moutain bike which had suspension ( :wall: ) and i still dont know what happened to this day, either i blacked out on the bike and then fell, or i tried to do a stoppie and fell then got concussed.

Either way i fell off the front and hit my head and knocked out one of my front teeth... :wall: ... <--- if i did that then id lose all my teeth!!!

I now have a false front tooth, which is attached to another tooth, but, id rather have my own proper ones... So if that can happen on a cycle bike what could happen on a motorcycle!

Although, i can see why people dont wear one!

When i was observing for scott adn was waiting at my section for first people for hours!!! i had a little ride abotu wtih no helmet... it was so light!!! Felt so much easier, and i must admit i felt like an old fag in god cap on head rider B)

That said, i have the basic Xpeed helmet (in blue) and thats pretty heavy compared to the expensive ones...

All in all a confusing post which probably contradicts itself.. :wall:

Richard

It is a shame that there are all these laws about safety ( helmets, seatbelts and speeding etc..) and we must thank the people that flaunt these laws because without them there will be even less donor organs for transplants for the sick. It is supprising how the smallest bump on the head can cause permanent brain damage or even death. As it is not possible to transplant a brain and as this is the main thing to get damaged when not wearing a helmet, all the other organs are in really good nick to hopefully go to new owners and make someone very happy. So thanks.

It seems that personal choice, is not something that many posting on this thread feel is at all important!

I dont want to have my freedom to choose taken away from me!

You sound almost American :wall:

It's a lovely ideal RS, but the trouble is too many people are too dumb to draw the line, so the rules help the idiots make their minds up.

I just hope we don't start overdoing the freedom thing in the UK. Freedom for some people means doing what ever you want no matter what effects it has on the rest of the world.

If a helmet makes our sport look more responsible, so that we might keep our current insurers, keep the land/rights of way that we desperately need, allowing us freedom to compete every weekend, then I for one will be the first to give up my freedom to ride without a helmet.

Seems a no-brainer to me :wall: Anything we can do to make our sport look more professional/responsible should be done now before it's too late. I don't think some people realise how close we could be to the end of trials as we know it if things don't go our way in the years to come.

It seems like a petty argument to me.

Well its been interesting watching this thread....and I hope you'll all remain friends at the end of it :wall::wall:

Seems to me though that its going round in circles. It seems everyone agrees its a good idea to wear a helmet....and then the freedom to choose for yourself issue...well...thats a different subject really in my humble opinion, since it could be probably be brought up in many other areas of our sport.

see ya :wall:

Im not sure if someone has already said anything like this because I cant really be a***d looking though all the replies to this topic.

But my opinion is that it is your own choice if you want to wear a helmet or not...but during competition it SHOULD be a manditory thing.

Imagine that you own that club...someone died in a section without a helmet...insurance replies with 'why wasn't he wearing a helmet'.

Then it becomes the fault of the club owner and it is then their responsibilty...

Its more of a common sense thing, I dont agree with the comment from r2w at the start of this topic where he said 'Ive never seen a head injury yet'...which yes, might not have done...

But thats like saying you've seen someone get hit by a car and survive...doesn't mean to say that its ok.

It all comes down to personal safety...if you have the brain, you'll protect it. Everytime you go up that bank that you've done a million times before...there is nothing to say that you will take it too far back and land 6ft under. Your head is a fragile thing.

I understand, you dont wear a helmet and its your life that is at risk...no one elses.

But its the same with things at work, if your told to wear ear protection...you wear it...it doesn't save anyone elses hearing...just yours. If you dont wear them, your sacked because the company is liable for its employees...and the company is in deep crap if you go deaf.

...its exactly the same with clubs.

.. i work for a company that takes safety very seriously, in fact it is so over the top that climbing up a telegraph pole with all the stuff we have to wear on has become a hazard in itself as you can't move for straps, lanyards, googles, gloves etc etc. But as i said before.. i almost always wear one and if i entered a comp then i would always wear one and expect too, but when out playing i still can exercise my right to choose.

Whatever the comments about my personnel inteligence here are i will continue to make the choice.

Whilst out yesterday at a practice area 2 riders who had stopped for a drink then got on each others bikes for a quick try out and neither put their helmets back on... i suppose the rest of you would have run over and knocked them off their bikes and pointed out how stupid they were but i let them get on with their own lives.... the rebel that i am !!

Oh, and thanks to all of you that continue to smoke... eveyone knows how stupid and deadly it is but you exercise your right anyway. It at least pays for the health service that i may require if i go out on my bike without a helmet.

Yes I do sort of a agree more now, its a sort of thing where no one is at risk but themselves...in practice.

As with competition, its a must.

I think the arugement should really change to 'why are clubs letting riders ride without'.

I have been riding for 10 years now, and I was always made to wear a helmet, and if ever i tried to ride without, my Dad would bollock me.

I have, admittedly, rode around the car park without a helmet, but not one second of that riding to I ever feel comfortable.

Having ridden for so long with, its become like a body part, and you just cant trust yourself without it.

I remain totally self righteous, being a non-smoker. :D

Although a total hippocrate (sp) as I continue to drown my liver, and even worse, work my driving license to the limit with speeding fines which not only affects me, but potentially others. :D although in 19 years and 40000 miles a year I've never had an accident, it's the same argument I suppose.

Don't take it personal Heath, we're worried about you :P and at least in my case, good to see people getting that little bit reeled in :D It's good for the heart ;) (mine not yours)

There'll be photo's of all of us hippocrates practicing/warming up with no helmets on now

:(

Smoking!!! :D excuse me while I p*** my pants laughing.........when will it end? :(

I think you won't change the guys minds about riding with out lids...so let them just get on with it...maybe if there pricks were stuck to there heads they would wear lids........oh owed on. there pricks are stuck to there heads already :D

No offence guys :D