New bike

pete_scorpa3

I've owned my '05 SY250 since new and it's done everything I've expected it to do but is getting on a bit now.

I am impressed with the Evo 290 and seriously considered getting one, but the cost of the new bike in comparison to any gains in results I might get has made me decide to keep the old Sy and give it a bit of a make over instead and save the money for another time.

So I changed the tyres today, the original has not been off since new but being five and a half years old it was way past it's best. I've gone for another Michelin and as you can see from the picture it looks a little better.

IMG_0255.jpg

I've also fitted a new rear IRC but given up on the rim tape and stuck a tube in. I know other people can make the tape fit correctly but making it air tight as eluded me for the past four years and I am sick of pumping the tyre up every time I ride it.

It really is getting a once over as I've put new chain and sprockets on too. With a bit of luck it'll do another five and a half years before I feel the urge to change it again.

Pete

Funny you should post all that, cause recently I've been thinking about buying a new( to me that is ) bike, but having looked at my ability, and how long I've been doing this sport (months) and I thought exactly the same as you, new tyres, new s&c shortly and a nedw front pipe ( I damaged it first ever time out) and it'll be good to go until such time as my ability out rides it (read...never) :icon_salut:

As long as you look after a scorpa you will never have too change.the yam engine is Bullet proof. And to be honest the perfect bike for 80% of club riders. I have an 08 2t now and have no intention of changing. Nice and easy to ride and can still get you up the big stuff.

Hi Pete,

going through the same dilemma myself just now. My 06 Gasser is still sound as a pound mechanically and otherwise. Did the new tyre, c+s etc but I'm still hankering after something new or newer! I know for a fact a newer machine will not make up for my lack of skill and will have no effect on my scores BUT...... I still want one!

I bought the 06 in 07 as a discounted previous year model and saved quite a few quid so I'd probably do the same this time if I ever make my mind up? There's something quite sexual special about a new bike straight out the crate - perhaps that's why I have the urge?

Finances dictate that I should do the same as you, the voices in my head say otherwise............

GJ :wacko:

P.S. Why do the edges of your tyres not round off the same as mine? Not fair <_<

Possibly he has been riding it on the road too much. Tire does not look as though it has seen a rock.

Cannot begin to recall just how many times I have told folk that these are darned good bikes.

It is all relative to the pocketbook, I really like Orange now as well, someday!

Possibly he has been riding it on the road too much. Tire does not look as though it has seen a rock.

Cannot begin to recall just how many times I have told folk that these are darned good bikes.

It is all relative to the pocketbook, I really like Orange now as well, someday!

The Scorpa is ideal for my limited abilities, this is the second one I've owned from new and it's over five years old.

The original tyre has lasted so long because we don't have many rocks in the Midlands Uk, especially riding on the easy or middle routes at club trials, you generally find section after section of tree roots and mud although there is one rock we try to put in every time we set out a trial just to say we've got one. :rolleyes:

I could look through my results and tell you how many trials the tyre has done, but I guess it's probably 100 to 150 with at least 10 road trials (two or three a year) so I can't complain about changing it at last, it's certainly cheaper than getting a new bike. :thumbup:

Nothing rides like a scorpa, i swapped to another brand a couple of years ago and changed right back. Mine is an 08, its De-tuned and set up to grip, i find IRC's work very well when its colder.

Glad you sticking with Scorpa :icon_salut: