Military Trials bikes?

earthmover

Has anyone heard of Trials bikes being used by the military at some point? (anyones, not just ours)

I recently picked up a rear wheel off fleabay which has been painted in what is best described a "sand" colour. This has been done by dipping the entire assembly, not applied by brush or spray. When removed, the metal underneath is as new. It's a Beta/Sherco/GasGas type hub, with stainless spokes and a gold coloured alloy tubeless rim.

Just wondering, that's all.

Mark

Has anyone heard of Trials bikes being used by the military at some point? (anyones, not just ours)

I recently picked up a rear wheel off fleabay which has been painted in what is best described a "sand" colour. This has been done by dipping the entire assembly, not applied by brush or spray. When removed, the metal underneath is as new. It's a Beta/Sherco/GasGas type hub, with stainless spokes and a gold coloured alloy tubeless rim.

Mark

You sure it wasn't dried on mud, from last Sunday's trial, Mark :D

I have no idea, if the military use them, couldn't see a reason why..............poor fuel range would be one reason

Hi Johnny, that was some mud!

Chewy, my first thought too, but this is paint that has been on from new, the metal underneath is pristine in every way!

The only clue is in the "sand" colour, but as suggested, fuel range would be prohibitive, and what could they carry?

Mark

When I was in the SAS we used them......

Do we know each other :ph34r: ?I was wounded in 'Nam...Tottenam.

You can clearly see my 'Stealth Sherco' on the left of this photo....soldier-10.jpg

I have covertly entered many trials last year but all I got from the observers was ''I can't see your f****** number''!

Come on then GIZZA5, what colour is the mess officers door at Hereford? :shutup:

Edited by HAM2

Don't pretend to be anything I'm not!!!!!

I was "ATTACHED" to the SAS in the late 80's as the Chief Motorcycle Instructor great job as I had to not only teach get them through their test but also improve their off road skills.

Bloody good bunch of bloke and a privilege to have served there.

As for the Mess afraid I didn't stay that long in the forces to even see the Mess Doors. Ask ArmyMan he is a bit of a Wuss and has drank Port in several of the Messes.

Don't pretend to be anything I'm not!!!!!

I was "ATTACHED" to the SAS in the late 80's as the Chief Motorcycle Instructor great job as I had to not only teach get them through their test but also improve their off road skills.

Bloody good bunch of bloke and a privilege to have served there.

As for the Mess afraid I didn't stay that long in the forces to even see the Mess Doors. Ask ArmyMan he is a bit of a Wuss and has drank Port in several of the Messes.

It was just a line from a Bob DeNiro film....even the Salvation Army wouldn't have me :crying:

As for you trialsmotopat ! drop to the floor and give me 20...and 1 for the Marine Corps. :hyper:

• 3 weeks later...

Mark

This is a long shot but the sand colour may not be of military origin. I worked in Vauxhalls car plant paint unit and the first stage of paint on the car body is electrophoretic priming. The shell is dipped and current used to promote a thin layer of water thick primer to adhere to all parts, even inside box sections and between spot welded sheet metal. At the factory many of us primed our own items this way by placing them inside the car body, motorbike frames, fuel tanks, garden gates etc. The primed item is then ovened and comes out a light biscuit yellow. The coating is very thin but is through enough to stop mild steel rusting if left outside in rain for several months. Sounds like someone primed your wheel in this way, for whatever reason.

This is a long shot but the sand colour may not be of military origin. I worked in Vauxhalls car plant paint unit and the first stage of paint on the car body is electrophoretic priming. The shell is dipped and current used to promote a thin layer of water thick primer to adhere to all parts, even inside box sections and between spot welded sheet metal. At the factory many of us primed our own items this way by placing them inside the car body, motorbike frames, fuel tanks, garden gates etc. The primed item is then ovened and comes out a light biscuit yellow. The coating is very thin but is through enough to stop mild steel rusting if left outside in rain for several months. Sounds like someone primed your wheel in this way, for whatever reason.

Hi Dodge,

Good call, could well have been the case. I have now stripped all of the paint off, Nitromors will remove it if it has an "edge" to work from. The outside of the rim appears as if it had been sand blasted before painting! It looks a little odd at first, but once it's covered in mud it blends in perfectly! :thumbup:

Mark