ty casings

scottishsteve

The flywheel cover can be bought new,no problem.Apparently they are cast a bit thick in section and can cause damage to the crankcase on impact.Only what i've heard,no personal experience of it.

the clutch cover is more of a problem,I've tried Tig welding them with little success.Can only find them on E-Bay secondhand or at autojumbles etc.

I even tried to encourage discussion on an Australian trials website,but no one could be bothered to answer.I have asked a few people here in the UK about having new clutch covers cast without the oil pump face - so it can bve more streamlined in appearance.

The flywheel cover can be bought new,no problem.Apparently they are cast a bit thick in section and can cause damage to the crankcase on impact.Only what i've heard,no personal experience of it.

the clutch cover is more of a problem,I've tried Tig welding them with little success.Can only find them on E-Bay secondhand or at autojumbles etc.

I even tried to encourage discussion on an Australian trials website,but no one could be bothered to answer.I have asked a few people here in the UK about having new clutch covers cast without the oil pump face - so it can bve more streamlined in appearance.

will keep looking on ebay :thumbup:

Hi Jon

I read your posting on the Aussie trials site. You helped bob1 with your reply and I did not see a question in your posting to answer so didn't reply. There are only a few hundred Twinshock trials riders in Australia and only a few active twinshock trials forum members so don't expect to be knocked over with replies to postings on the subject.

For people wanting to buy second-hand TY twinshock parts from Australia, I suggest you look at eBay.com.au because they do come up for sale (it is a different website to eBay.co.uk)

The availability of TY250 magneto covers is probably no better here than in the UK, because they suffer internal corrosion and rock damage. Ty250BCDE clutch covers corrode inside the oil pump compartment.

I recently bought a TY175 bottom end (with clutch cover) and a TY175 magneto cover via aussie eBay for reasonable $$ and there have been lots of TY250s suitable for parts for sale and also individual TY250 parts for sale.

If someone from overseas wants to buy some particular TY parts from OZ, I am happy to help with the logistics if I can.

The Yamahas that have the clutch cover without the oil pump compartment that can be used on the TY175 are YZ125ABCXDEF and IT175DEF. DT125 and DT175 clutch covers can be used but look pretty bad and are lots heavier.

I don't know of any other Yamaha motor that has a clutch cover that will fit a TY250 but would like to try a DT2 or DT3 clutch cover as I think they might fit.

Thanks David,my posting on the Australian site was to see if anyone there was interested on the possibility of new clutch covers,judging by the lack of repsonse i guess its not a problem.I also posted in the introduce yourself bit,just looked again - 70 views and nobody even said hello.Whatever, I picked up a spare flywheel cover this afternoon at the telford show,on the same stand there was a new TY250B clutch cover and quite a few other bits and TY pieces.Craig Mawlems majesty stand had a great display of TY stuff as did John Canes TY/Trails.So here in the UK a TY yam is an easy choice in terms of spares/upgrade stuff.

Saying that most of the other makes were well catered for too,Montesa,Bultaco and Ossa were well represented.

A year or so ago I came across a site-possibly french that had carbonfibre sidecovers, not sure if it was complete clutch or just the oil pump cover, definately had the ignition cover. Haven't managed to find it since so can't help with a link