05 Front Fenders

titanium

The 04 and 05 fenders are identical except for the date of manufacture. If you can get one with the older date, I think its sometime in 03, they are more durable. I never broke one on my 04, but broke the 05 fender 3 times (kept remounting it). Now I have solved the problem- I purchased a generic sherco fender (about $25 US) they are very flexible, almost like rubber, and look good too! Now to get some graphics for it..........

Since the '04 and '05 mudguards are identical apart from the graphics, it must be the mounting method that's causing the problems. The '05 appears to use a "flat" bracket while earlier models used that higher curved design. Maybe this meant that more impact shock was absorbed by the bracket instead of being transmitted directly into the mudguard via the mounting rivets.

I've crashed the hell out of my '04 since I installed an '05 mudguard and there's no signs of cracking yet.

Since the '04 and '05 mudguards are identical apart from the graphics, it must be the mounting method that's causing the problems. The '05 appears to use  a "flat" bracket while earlier models used that higher curved design. Maybe this meant that more impact shock was absorbed by the bracket instead of being transmitted directly into the mudguard via the mounting rivets.

I've crashed the hell out of my '04 since I installed an '05 mudguard and there's no signs of cracking yet.

The guard brackets on the 04 and 05 bikes are exactly the same :ph34r:

Where we practise there's a stream that runs down a deep gulley and there's one stretch that's a favorite for practising those 10ft vertical launches up the slippery bank and out - classic loop-out (or worse, slip and crash back down) territory! There are always broken plastics kicking around in the undergrowth and for some reason, they're usually Sherco rear mudguards. However, we were up there on Saturday and found two broken '05 Beta fronts.

Why fronts? This section is known for eating rears but I don't see how these Beta parts would have broken unless the mudguard hammers into the underside of the yoke at full compression. Maybe that's it?

I saw a great post somewhere on this board or the former one about brittle plastic parts. I can't remember who posted it but he obviously knew something about plastic. His suggestion was that sometimes plastic parts can become brittle from the molding process, and that it is possible to stress relieve plastic. I am particularly interested in this because I just put new 05 plastic on my 04 Beta. I followed his suggestion which was to heat the fenders with a hot air gun and flex them repeatedly in all directions. This way, the plastic will not have to stretch so abruptly on a sudden impact. I will let you know how this works.