Sherco 290 something loose

scotty97

Just been out on my bike and as I pulled over to stop it cut out and then wouldn't start again.

The kickstart seems to engage

You can hear the piston go up and down

It sounds like something loose

There's compression there

Could it be flywheel as I've had a problem with kick back lately,

O also noticed that when pushing the bike home that if you put it in gear the clutch isn't working either??? This was working till the problem happened??

Any ideas where to start???

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i'l open it up tomorrow,

Just to note, tried bumping it and there seems to be lots of compression as the bike skids til it stops

Think I would ck the flywheel first.

Clutches always seem to drag when the engine is not running(pushing the bike), so noot too unusual. :rolleyes:

Didn't get chance to take the clutch and flywheel covers off today. Just wondering what I should be looking for when I take the flywheel cover off???

C'mon mate. Takes 5 min... maybe/ Remove three screws from cover. Then, if shifter is not knackered, you choudl likely be able to depress lever down fully as putting into first gear.

With a bit of wiggling you should be able to sqeeze cover out and off.

Firstly, the flywheel retaining nut should not be loose or hand tight. If it is, one can bet the keywak has sheared, as this nut is supposed to be at 73 lb/ft as I recall.

If it is totally loose, you might pull off even without a puller(same way as the cover). :thumbup:

Getting sum stuff out of garage so I removed plastic flywheel cover, fly wheel retaining nut is tight. Couldn't go any further as my flywheel tool is in work.

I'l try and remove the flywheel tomorrow, once i'v moved the metal part of flywheel what do I need to look for??

Might sound a bit daft but never removed this before.

Note: gave bike one or two kicks, seems to be compression but no kick back which I normally tend to get, and some thing defo sounds loose!!!

Getting sum stuff out of garage so I removed plastic flywheel cover, fly wheel retaining nut is tight. Couldn't go any further as my flywheel tool is in work.

I'l try and remove the flywheel tomorrow, once i'v moved the metal part of flywheel what do I need to look for??

Might sound a bit daft but never removed this before.

Note: gave bike one or two kicks, seems to be compression but no kick back which I normally tend to get, and some thing defo sounds loose!!!

Well, if the flywheel were that loose to rattle I would think one would be able to feel the nut loose or move the weight by hand.

The keyway is just a little metal half moon thing that fits a groove in the crankshaft ant sticks out to align into the groove in the flywheel to align things upon assembly. If it has gone, then the bits on the crank will be sheared off smooth, with the top still in the groove in the flywheel most likely.

I cannot think of any direct relation with your claim of disfunctional clutch, as even if the clutch was buggared and making noise, should not prevent starting.

I was able to turn the metal wheel round with my hand, as i did it i could hear the piston going up and down?? Does this sound right.

Yes your right, i cant start the bike in gear or in neutral so i dont think thats to do with the clutch, could be a seperate issue???

I was able to turn the metal wheel round with my hand, as i did it i could hear the piston going up and down?? Does this sound right.

Yes your right, i cant start the bike in gear or in neutral so i dont think thats to do with the clutch, could be a seperate issue???

You can normally rotate the flywheel by hand and feel the compression as it builds, yet verticle or lateral movement in the wheel, NO.

Think you still gotta pull it off to inspect, if you hear no other mechanical nose or roughness rotating by hand.

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while, but been working every hour so only now getting some free time to look at the problem

Recorded a video lastnight of what was happening. Firstly I thought the bike was going to start then after a few kicks the kickstart clicked like as if it hadn't engaged, then the noise was there again. You can hear the noise of the piston going up and down and then a rattle afterwards

Any ideas???

Video below