bantam or cub?

philj66

hello all,

please help me with my decision. i want an old british long distance trials (LDT) (or reliability trials as they were called back in the day) bike, not too worried about super trials ability. but should have reasonable road manners and able to cruse along at about 50mph (or close as possible).

so would a 175cc 2 stroke be better than a 200cc 4 stroke??

i dont really want a full on trials bike more like a pre 65 green lane bike that i can do some LDT's on

or should i be looking at something like a royal enfield 350cc 4s, james captin 200cc 2s an ariel or something completely different. please dont say an xr400, thats what i will be selling to fund this project.

kind regards

phil.

hello all,

please help me with my decision. i want an old british long distance trials (LDT) (or reliability trials as they were called back in the day) bike, not too worried about super trials ability. but should have reasonable road manners and able to cruse along at about 50mph (or close as possible).

so would a 175cc 2 stroke be better than a 200cc 4 stroke??

i dont really want a full on trials bike more like a pre 65 green lane bike that i can do some LDT's on

or should i be looking at something like a royal enfield 350cc 4s, james captin 200cc 2s an ariel or something completely different. please dont say an xr400, thats what i will be selling to fund this project.

kind regards

phil.

Would have thought the Royal Enfield would be a better bet and probably cheaper too. If you cant find one in "trials" trim then there are quite a few "Indian" Enfields about that can be very easily converted all for much less than the cost of a Cub. Dont think the Bantam would be up to it IMHO.

Edited by Old trials fanatic
  • Dislike 1

Well I've got a garage full of Bantams. One is a full on Trials Bike. I know you said you wanted a British bike but I would have to vote for a TY175. Once set up you shouldn't ever have to work on it. Price would be less than a Cub, parts are available, very easy to work on and a good Trial or Trail bike when complete.

just my .02

thanks for the replies, i guess i will probably buy a 250 - 350 four stroke then and then do a mild trials conversion.

after careful consideration that seems the best option. i already have a ty250 mono that i was considering getting road registered but the seat is so low and my knees just are not up to constant standing and sitting down with such a low seat.

i have been looking at some nice 70's 2 strokes just to further confuse.

thanks again

phil

hello again,

yamaha serow. yes great bike i have had a couple, one of the best bikes i ever owned, still got one although for some strange reason i have supermotoed it!

ok to help with the decision i will tell you what i have got at the moment.

xr400. think i will sell this to fund next bike

gasgas ec200. love this bike but dont use it enough and the resale price would hurt me too much

ty250 mono. ebay bike costing me more than i thought, just getting back together after near full rebuild

husqvarna wr250. another one of the best bikes i have had.

xt225... undergoing a supermoto makeover.

a scooter for shopping and a couple of kids bikes... xr100 and py90 (chineese crap that looks good but keeps going and going).

so the next bike i want to do some green laneing and some LDT's etc, must be twin shock and have decent road capabilities, not worried about super trials ability. more of a gentleman's green laner with a bit of class or style. i think an old british bike would fit the image in my head.

regards and keep the suggestions coming, i still have my eyes on a bantam or a royal enfield at the moment.

regards

phil

hello again,

yamaha serow. yes great bike i have had a couple, one of the best bikes i ever owned, still got one although for some strange reason i have supermotoed it!

ok to help with the decision i will tell you what i have got at the moment.

xr400. think i will sell this to fund next bike

gasgas ec200. love this bike but dont use it enough and the resale price would hurt me too much

ty250 mono. ebay bike costing me more than i thought, just getting back together after near full rebuild

husqvarna wr250. another one of the best bikes i have had.

xt225... undergoing a supermoto makeover.

a scooter for shopping and a couple of kids bikes... xr100 and py90 (chineese crap that looks good but keeps going and going).

so the next bike i want to do some green laneing and some LDT's etc, must be twin shock and have decent road capabilities, not worried about super trials ability. more of a gentleman's green laner with a bit of class or style. i think an old british bike would fit the image in my head.

regards and keep the suggestions coming, i still have my eyes on a bantam or a royal enfield at the moment.

regards

phil

Still think the Royal Enfield would be your best bet :thumbup:

• Dislike 1

Its Friday afternoon and time to think about bikes !

This might suit - but looks pricey Enfield 350

I once had an Indian Enfield and often wondered whether it could have been made into a GOV 132 copy. (highly unlikley) also rode one of the Indian Enfield "trail" bikes - most scary thing i ever rode. felt like it had a hinge in the middle.

Happy days - more dreaming................

I once had an Indian Enfield and often wondered whether it could have been made into a GOV 132 copy. (highly unlikley) also rode one of the Indian Enfield "trail" bikes - most scary thing i ever rode. felt like it had a hinge in the middle.

Spinning Wheel are ALWAYS very expensive. There are at least 4 Enfields on Ebay at the moment all for under

• Dislike 1

GOV132 ? Dont you mean HNP331 ?

GOV132 ? Dont you mean HNP331 ?

Yes, your right, its just the SM Ariel has always been a favourite bike of mine.

this is nice too,C15

always had a soft spot for pre65's.

bit early today - few too many of these last night :guinness: back to bed with CDB and a cup of tea:thumbup:

Edited by Caddabs

• 2 weeks later...

hello all again,

thanks for the many replys and advice, i have now bought a nice little twin shock and after a little fettling should make a great LDT bike!

its a 70's ty250

yes i know not british but it is road registered and the brake and gear levers are on the right side!!

parts shouldnt be a problem and road maners can be geared up without loosing too much off road ability (yes maybe not able to do monster trials climbs etc but i dont think i could anyway!).

and enough money left over to maybe get a bantam in the future when the xr is sold :-)

win win situation!! that is if the fettling doesnt cost too much!

thanks again all

and pictures when im on the road and trailing :-)

phil

Good choice - theres not much wrong with them,and best of all they are reliable.I rode mine at the Somerton ACU trial yesterday,just fill it with fuel and oil the chain.Didnt miss a beat,the only thing I keep a look out for is water in the carb.I think it was getting down the throttle cable when I waa pressure washing it,(Carefully)the gaiter had gone soft and not gripping the cable.

Other than that if its in reasonable nick they are ideal for abuse !