Beamish, how good?

monty_jon

I've had a Beamish for the last 9 years and although its heavy, a bit long and lacks grip in certain situations it's still quite a good a good bike. It might not be as good as a Bultaco or Montesa and certainly nowhere near as good as a Fantic but a lot of it is how well you ride it and not how good the bike is. The best thing to do is get out there and enjoy it whether challenging for wins or trying not to be last (as in my case), also try not to fall off or get stuck halfway up a hill cos its weght cant half take it out of you after a while.

• 2 months later...

I ride both 250 and 325 late models in twinshock trials and I don't feel short changed when comparing my bikes with the Ty's, fantics, Hondas, etc. Yes they may be more able trials machines but the beamish bikes have their own qualities that should not be ignored. I find they excel in finding grip, they are very stable over rocks and up streams,have a fantastic strong sump guard!,the engines are very reliable and strong, they look good and you can still get them reasonably cheap. What more do you want.

The Beamish Suzuki is a good looking machine and very reliable. Some spares are hard to find but they don't need many. I had one for a few years and enjoyed riding it then I contracted Fantic illness, they ride better but dont look as good.

I have both a late 70's RL250 and a late 70's TY250...

I find that I have more grip and control on the RL than the TY. It could all be rear tire condition but The RL feels like a tractor in sections where the TY would fade and slip.

Granted the TY seems a little bit more agile ( lighter) . I have to get rid of one of them not sure which one though.

The TY is in better overall shape than the RL but I enjoy riding the RL more.

Opinions welcomed.

Edited by sundance1

Do you really have to get rid of one of them?

Neither are losing money the longer you keep them, but if you do have to sell one I sympathise with you on the choice you must make.

I suppose you should flog the one you don't use much.

You make a valid point....I do have the place to keep them...I forgot to mention I also have a 98 Montesa 315r that I ride more than the RL or TY.

My brother visits from time to time and is an avid rider, and also my son is getting to that age of being able to handle the 250's so maybe I should just hang on to them for now.

Thanks for the sounding board.

Fred

Edited by sundance1