Pro 300

nige02

I was out last weekend and at one point I could select first gear, but it wouldn't engage properly. After riding for 10 mins and selecting through the gears it seemed to correct itself. On draining oil, I found what seemed to be half a circlip. I flushed the engine 3 times to try and get the other part of the clip, but couldn't get anything.

I've got a trial this weekend, is it safe to ride the bike or should I find out exactly what it is and get it repaired/replaced?!

Any help and advice would be greatly appreiciated, cheers Rich. :D

I was out last weekend and at one point I could select first gear, but it wouldn't engage properly. After riding for 10 mins and selecting through the gears it seemed to correct itself. On draining oil, I found what seemed to be half a circlip. I flushed the engine 3 times to try and get the other part of the clip, but couldn't get anything.

I've got a trial this weekend, is it safe to ride the bike or should I find out exactly what it is and get it repaired/replaced?!

Any help and advice would be greatly appreiciated, cheers Rich. :D

Finding half a circlip is much worse than finding a complete one (like finding half a large bug in your half-eaten sandwich). I would not ride (or start) the bike further until you find the source (and the other half of the clip). That circlip held something on or in and I'd find out what it is as that part is now trying to fall off. Start with taking off the clutch sidecover, hopefully it's one of the small circlips that hold the kickstart idler gear or centering spring and can be easily replaced.

Jon

Finding half a circlip is much worse than finding a complete one (like finding half a large bug in your half-eaten sandwich). I would not ride (or start) the bike further until you find the source (and the other half of the clip). That circlip held something on or in and I'd find out what it is as that part is now trying to fall off. Start with taking off the clutch sidecover, hopefully it's one of the small circlips that hold the kickstart idler gear or centering spring and can be easily replaced.

Jon

Where is the rest of it?

A 10 penny circlip could cost you a lot more!!

I doubt anyone would have left that in after a rebuild. So a strip would advisable.

A bug in one of my extreme sandwiches would be something to be concerned about! :(

Jon u were right, it was the axis circlip. I was lucky that it didn't mince up my gears and it stuck to the draining bolt!

Thanks for advice, much appreciated.

Good news.

While we're on the subject of circlips, here's a couple of hints:

Most know there's a sharp and dull side to most circlips. When they are stamped, one side edge has a slightly radiused edge (where the die hits the metal sheet) and the other side has a sharper edge. Always install the sharp edge outward and it's less likely to come off if it loses tension.

When installing circlips, place your thumb over the clip and only use just enough pressure on the circlip pliers to allow you to push the clip in/on the groove. Any more than that and you may distort the clip so it won't seat snugly in the groove or cause it to twist slightly and set up a "stress riser" condition on the sharp edge side that will evenutally cause it to break (probably what happened in your case).

Jon